please help my gf plan for visitor visa to see me!

So my girlfriend of S. Korea wants to come to U.S to visit me, but she is really worried that they will deny her.

We have gone through different websites, and all give either different information, or dont give us positive feelings about this.

So this is her situation:

-23 yr old female

-recently graduated University, so no longer a student

-has been to U.S as exchange student last year

-her occupation is tutoring, so she takes cash..meaning it's not like a real job that is on tax papers for proof

-she has been living in the school dorm since university, and now live w/ relatives, so she doesn't have a apartment of her own.

-financially, she is not rich.....and her folks, who do not live with her, are not rich either

my situation:

-USC

-Live w/ parents

-want to be sponsor for her IF possible.

ok, so we have been searching the internent, and found a bunch of mix answrs. Some say that since she is no longer a student, it will be harder for her to come, and some say that she needs a minimum $$ in her bank account for her to come. and blah blah blah.

Some sites say that the rate of success for B1 last year was 93%, and some say that it is hard to convince the officer to let her in.

what do I do? I dont know how we should approach this. Based on her situation, does she have a lesser advantage?

Some sites to say to buy the airplane ticket first.....round trip, to show.

anyone have any experiences on how to approach this carefully?

my gf also said that it is better to apply as soon as after you graduate....because non-students have disadvantage?

Our expertise lies mainly with China but there are maybe a few similarities that may help. First and foremost your GF must show beyond a shadow of a doubt that she will return to her homeland. This is done by showing ties to home. Ie a good job, business interests, family ties, perhaps another term or two to get her degree in a program not easily found elsewhere. If her sole reason is to come here is to visit her bf and doesn't have suffient ties to bring her back they will likely deny the petition. God luck.

semidevil,

The Republic Of S. Korea is unique. I agree with Carl. She has to show a "desire" to return. (ie a home, job, etc.) . It also is extremely "helpful" to have $8,000 deposits in a reputable bank. This does not mean a checking account, either. This is a well established savings/IRA/Home Loan account.

I know my ex-fiancee/wife and I did this process about 9 years ago. With S. Korea they operate on a "cash and carry basis." I should know I have been married twice to Korean women, lived in Korea for 11 years, speak the language fluently, and understand Korean culture even better than Chinese culture .

Perhaps, they have changed. However, I sincerely doubt it! I would suggest talking with Jeikun (CFL member) . He was more recently was assigned to ROK. Perhaps, he has more up to date information.

A student visa, unless she has been accepted by an accredited university, I repeat "accredited' university, with a serious degree program, faces extremely dismal prospects. In my previous program of Pre-med, there were approximately 10 Korean students out if a class of 42. Most were sponsored by the "Country of S. Korea" itself. Only the elite, make it to the US.

I wish I could be more helpful, and be a better umbrella for you and your friend. I can only suggest that she check with a "reputable" visa agent. They will direct her in the right "direction." However, be aware of scams. In S Korea they are prevelant. Most especially, around cities like Itaewon, Songtang, EuiJeongbu, Tongducheon, Miari, Pusan, Wonju, Waegon, Taegu, Pytongtaek, Taejon, Idi and Chonju. If their are GI's present (Americans/soldiers), the scams will abound. Hence, the reluctance of US and students being given visas. The farther from soldiers/Americans,............ the better her chances.

I should mention the S. Korean Goverment has been fooled before. They DON'T have a sense of humor! The ROK government are not fools, and "HATE BEING MADE FOOLS OF." US soldiers have been doing this since 1969.

Therefore, I'm sorry to say the justifabliy extremly tight regulations, have "caught you and your friend in the middle." Hence, the confusion on your friends, you, and all agents in-between. Your situation is merely one in millions.

There are many S. Korean's who have no association with soldiers, who have are tried the identical same scam. Soldiers don't have a corner on this market. Take this from a person who lived in Koreatown (L.A. for 5 years)

Send me a PM. Perhaps, I can contact some people I know in LA, (Koreatown) who can help. However, no promises.

This question has always been a tricky one to answer for China, I'm not sure how much of this would apply to South Korea.

The big question to ask is 'what is our long term goal for our relationship and residence?" Is it to get a K-visa for your fiancee to come and live with you here in the USA? Assuming that it is, here is the catch-22 with a tourist visa. The tourist visa application is going to ask if the person in question is planning to seek perminent residence in the USA. If she answers 'yes', then it is a automatic rejection. If she answers 'no' she might get the tourist visa, but then she has technically comitted fraud when you petition for her K-visa. Assuming that you will eventually present evidence of your relationship that will pre-date the application for a tourist visa, the K-visa application could be denied outright because of the fraud.

I'm far from an expert on the subject. It might be worth spending $50-100 to consult with an immigration attorney (PM or email me for a recommendation) and get an informed legal opinion on your plans. But, the advice I've seen most often is that you should go and visit your GF in her country, and put the 'tourist visa' out of your mind as an option.

well, i'm not really questioning about marriage or anything yet. This is just more of a question on how she can come and visit me, and not get denied. If she says she is coming to visit just a friend, will it help?

if it is for a visit, is it hard to get? we dont want her to go all the way to U.S, and then have to get turned back. Based on her information and situation, does she have a good chance of getting denied?

To Cerebus, I'm not too clear, so are you saying that if she was a student before at a university in U.S, then it is good for her? 2 years ago, she was an exchange student, and it is a 4 year accredited school, and after the year, she went back to graduate at her school, and now, wants to come for visit, and not apply for student visa....

if it is for a visit,  is it hard to get?  we dont want her to go all the way to U.S, and then have to get turned back.  Based on her information and situation, does she have a good chance of getting denied?

Turned back??? Well, the answer to that is not to make travel plans until she has the visa in her passport.

I have no idea what her chances of getting the visa would be, though I'm guessing Korea has a better rate of issuance than China. Perhaps, she could visit a travel agent in Korea that could give her a better idea of her chances.

Semidevil,

I apologize for your confusion and perhaps I wasn't clear. The student options has been thought of many times, Hence, my pointing out the futility of it. This was one method that has been used. Student applys and is accepted to an accredited degree program. Basically something both the US and S. Korea both want. She/he is accepted, and goes to US where she stays for an extended study period (aka extended vacation). Then they simply stayed as long as they wanted, and later returned to their home country. This is a sample of the scam that was once used. Both countries realized what was happening, and put the "Kibosh" on this toute suite. Hence, the extensive interview process the students now undergo, contracts they sign, etc., etc. Oh! I should mention there was another variation to this scam. That was for them to get married to a US Citizen, k-3 visa, etc, etc. Needless to say this caused a lot of consertation in both the US and S. Korean State Depts.

The US State Dept knows about these scams, and they are very, I repeat very alert for them. Right now in LA a fake contract marriage runs from $20,000 to approx $40,000 to the US Citizen. This was another ploy that was used by people attempting to gain their green card. Many people are acutely aware of this fact, (Like a lot of CFLr's who have taken the right path with visas, and "then pay for the sins and scams of others.")

Unfortunately, the only real method that she has and still enter legally with a tourist visa; have a sizeable amout of liquid (read cash or bonds) or semi-liquid (condo, home) assets in her home country. The visiting citizen, can't move them out of the country. Hence, they have to return to get the assets. The last time I heard a home was a definite assest. As to liquid assets, the last price I heard of was $8,000 (USD), or 8,239,765.73 won (KRW). This was about 2 1/2 years ago.

Unless CFLr "Jeikun" is able to shed any recent light on this, I would virtually state that this is their only option. I'm sorry I can't give you any better advice.

Sorry, I'm no real help here. No one in my circle of friends when I was in South Korea married a Korean girl. Knew a few who had korean girlfriends, but most of those were the type who had been in country for 5 years, and planned to stay until forcibly assigned somewhere else. I knew some people who did, but not very well, so never bothered to ask them anything about that process.

Wow oh wow.. wish I could help ya dude....

Hey, loved how USC tromped OU.... what a game..

Good luck in finding your answer out. I hope you put up a post to explain what you finally did...

:P

Reason to love USC - OJ

Reason to hate RJ - Rob Johnson

Bills football has nothing to do with it though. :blink: :D

Bahan Question. What the???

If a chicken and a half laid an egg and a half in a day in a half, How long would it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?:blink:

Never let a bleak past overshadow a bright future - Very nice :D

So my girlfriend of S. Korea wants to come to U.S to visit me, but she is really worried that they will deny her.

We have gone through different websites, and all give either different information, or dont give us positive feelings about this.

So this is her situation:

-23 yr old female

-recently graduated University, so no longer a student

-has been to U.S as exchange student last year

-her occupation is tutoring, so she takes cash..meaning it's not like a real job that is on tax papers for proof

-she has been living in the school dorm since university, and now live w/ relatives, so she doesn't have a apartment of her own.

-financially, she is not rich.....and her folks, who do not live with her, are not rich either

my situation:

-USC

-Live w/ parents

-want to be sponsor for her IF possible.

ok, so we have been searching the internent, and found a bunch of mix answrs. Some say that since she is no longer a student, it will be harder for her to come, and some say that she needs a minimum $$ in her bank account for her to come. and blah blah blah.

Some sites say that the rate of success for B1 last year was 93%, and some say that it is hard to convince the officer to let her in.

what do I do? I dont know how we should approach this. Based on her situation, does she have a lesser advantage?

Some sites to say to buy the airplane ticket first.....round trip, to show.

anyone have any experiences on how to approach this carefully?

my gf also said that it is better to apply as soon as after you graduate....because non-students have disadvantage?

Well, best of luck, but you have an up hill battle, I'm afraid.

Before my Chinese fiancee was officially was my fiancee, she was able to get 4 visitor visas (I think) to come visit me. I'm convinced the first time was a combination of (1) luck; (2) my fiancee just having a trusting personality; (3) a LOT of supporting documentation; (4) her situation (worked for a U.S. company for a number of years, owned her own home, had descent savings, previous international travel); and (5) the company I worked for at the time, which had some sway with the Consulate (that is, they had previously been able to get the Consulate to reverse denials for student visas, and when my fiancee mentioned the name, the VO seemed to indicate she knew it and didn't want to have to deal with giving a rejection that would only be reversed later). The second time (a little less than two years later) provided a few extra hoops for us to jump through (had to show proof of my residency in China - they wanted to know we'd both come back), but still not too bad. After that, she had no problems.

Anyway, like others have said, she needs to show sufficient ties to Korea so they know she'll return. Given her current situation, just going to visit her boy friend (while perfectly honest, I'm sure) will most likely result in a rejection.

If you lay out exactly what she'll be doing during the trip on each day, so that the trip looks well planned out (rather than just going for "a visit"), it might help some, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

I don't think you can actually be a sponsor for her for just a visitor visa, but I could be wrong.