How to send money to China

Can't beat Western Union $14 to send up to $1000 and it is there instantly :)

I agree w/ Gene but point out that this is at local WU offices NOT ONLINE. WU on line is very expensive.

I have found that WU offices are in some of the major supermarkets in Las Vegas. Office locations CAN be found on the WU website easily. Someone in the past also recommended Walmart (I think it was $9.95) but WU works for me (it took 44 seconds for funds to arrive in Shanghai the last time I used them) and was a lot more accessible. Richard

Oh yea, don't do it online, very expensive, I was being lazy one time and it was like $27 to send $300, around here almost all of the supermarkets have Western Union and it is a standard $14. When you send it tell them to deliver in US$ also W.U. exchange is only 8.1 or something like that

WU may be faster, but the BOC can send for only $10 up to $3000 US, and their exchange rate is 8.28 (the bank to bank rate) which saves you another small percentage when you go to change the money.

The only drawback is that this only works from their midtown Manhattan branch in NYC.

GL!

WU may be faster, but the BOC can send for only $10 up to $3000 US, and their exchange rate is 8.28 (the bank to bank rate) which saves you another small percentage when you go to change the money.

The only drawback is that this only works from their midtown Manhattan branch in NYC.

GL!

:D I am on my way to NY to set up an account :D Anything to save 4 bucks :D

GL!

:D I am on my way to NY to set up an account :D Anything to save 4 bucks :D

Again, with the exchange rate difference, on 1000$US being sent, you save more like 65RMB extra too, so it totals to a grand $12.

However, with myself, or others, who are FROM NYC, it is a much better service to use.

;) yes, it is very expensive to send money on internet by western union, but my husband is busy guy, and he always did it on internet. $200 service charge is $27, and I have to take out RMB, not US$, it is 1650RMB. I told him to do it in Walmart. He said he wanted to do it, but no time :P $27 is expensive, my lancome eye cream is only 35$ :P besides I had to to go post office to take the money back, it is long way from my home to post office.
  • 2 weeks later...

If you send by WU, be sure to tell her the transaction # AND the amount that you are sending her. I wanted to surprise her and told her so. The WU agent would not release the money to her until she could tell him the amount she was expecting. The only surprise was what I got to hear after two trips to the WU office!

Phil & Yun

WU is good but theyyoften mix the name (backwards) and it takes a phone call to straighten it out. Also, have them pay in US dollars as your SO can get a better exchage rate than WU gives.

ATM is the easiest but some chinese gals (my wife) are money machine impaired and your card can, and did, get eaten by the machine.

Create a US bank account for her.  Put money in it.  Send her the ATM card.  Have her withdraw money from the ATM machines.  There will be no transaction fees.  You can replenish the account as needed.

that is almost impossible to do, i tried that but no ssn no signature sorry...can i get another atm? no sorry. So i opened one for my son and gave her that ATM card.