Travellers checks

[i think, as others have stated, make sure you have multiple options for getting money.  And call all the banks and card providers before you leave and tell them you will be using the cards in China.  Sometimes if you stray from your "pattern" your charges can be denied.

This is very true. In October I bought an engagement ring in Beijing on my credit card. The next day when I tried to make another purchase for $300 it was declined. I had to use a different credit card.

The first credit card company called my home in the U.S. and my daughter confirmed that I was travelling in China. Afterward they allowed me to make purchases on the credit card.

Again, it is always good to have multiple money options when travelling in China and elsewhere.

The first credit card company called my home in the U.S. and my daughter confirmed that I was travelling in China. Afterward they allowed me to make purchases on the credit card.

Always call the CC institition and/or Bank, let them know your traveling and where before you go

Always call the CC institition and/or Bank, let them know your traveling and where before you go

That happend to me too. Good advice Gene. Sinking feeling when the credit card doesn't work when you need them the most. I found out about my banks credit card fraud program the hard way. (just like everything else I have to learn.<_< ) They locked my card out "for my protection". Thanks a lot guys.

Lesson learned. I call my bank before every trip now.

You can certainly cash traveler’s checks in the Bank of China.

Keep in mind the further you are from large cities which have contact with American visitors the more difficult it will be to cash the checks.

Typically in a large city like Shanghai it is just business as usual, go to Nantong 50 miles north and it takes awhile longer....and about three clerks and managers to consider the transaction....

Was in a remote village before and there were no banks in site...RMB works better there.

All major hotels will cash your checks for you and give you a better rate then exchanging dollars....go figure.

Another bit of trivia….never take any US currency that is not in excellent condition. I always go to the bank and get fresh bills and inspect them for tears or any damage before I leave.

Rule of thumb if your bill has a small tear, say on a corner, they will not accept them.

I have used AMEX at major hotels with no problem...except for recieving the same bill twice once upon a time....

Interesting and similar experiences to all here with two additions:

1. I got a *better* rate with a US$500 or US$1000 Traveler's Cheque than with cash (It is not posted as such, but the rate was better, but only with the *large* denomination cheques).

2. they do *not* know, even in some of the larger cities, the newly designed US$20 and US$10 bills. The old ones I had they took without a problem, but they refused the new ones. Odd...