Second Name Check

I just e-mailed Guangzhou requesting information on whether my fiancee's name check had been completed.  They replied that it had been completed in the US this past summer (before it was sent to Guangzhou).  Did I not ask my question correctly, or did we escape having a second check done in China?

You ask a fair question.

However, the newest response is what I got today from the DOS. They told me that "my case was fully complete and waiting in the queue". This makes sense given the timeframe that GZ sent to me when I emailed nicely asking for more information about 2 weeks ago.

It seems that your P3 date was after mine, and I just got this word today. Furthermore, I have reason to believe that we will not get a P4 issued prior to somepoint through January at the earliest and possibly not even until February.

If you can get more information however, I envy you and would enjoy learning more about our current predicament.

I have given up on her trying to arrive in time for our joint birthday celebration (she and my father's) for this year, and instead am planning to go to there early in January. However, if things do change, I will definitely do all that I can to accomodate!!! :-)

Good Luck to you!

Thanks Tony and Lele for your thoughts.

I haven't called DOS yet, but my first e-mail from Guangzhou IV said something to the effect that they had received all necessary documentation from my fiancee but that due to the number of applications they receive they could not predict when they can schedule the interview; and that they would send her more info closer to the time of the interview.

My second one was just a request of whether she had cleared the name check, to whcih they replied that she had in the US (before the application had been sent to Guangzhou).

Does anyone happen to know anything more concrete on this? Thanks!

EDIT: Specifically my question is does anyone know definitively whether they ALWAYS perform a second name check in Guangzhou, or is the one done in the U.S. sometimes sufficient (for their purposes - not ours .. lol)?

This is a big mystery. They keep changing things so you never really get your balance. When we went through the system all the name checks were done at NVC. I was led to believe that this was the reason for sending petitions to the NVC. Before that they were all sent to GZ immediately after NOA-2. I'm not convinced that they always do a second name check. I suspect they only do it when a red flag comes up where someone with the same name is suspected of something. Unfortuately there aren't very many family names in China. I also suspect it could be a delaying tactic because of the back log. I haven't heard anything saying another name check has been mandated by DOS. This is all pure speculation on my part though so take it with a grain of salt. One thing for sure though is this system is constantly changing. The system now is a little different from when I went through only 6 months ago and ours was different from others only months before that.

When I went to GZ for the US Citizen hour on 28 Oct, they said the second name check is standard in all cases now. The VO said GZ does their own screening, but the second name check is requested by GZ after receiving the P3, and is done in the US through various government agencies. Usually it takes no more than 2 months to do both, sometimes longer.

Then there are cases like mine and another CFL'er Mari's where our fiance(e)'s name check is stuck in some "cloud cukooland" limbo of over 4 months. So far my congressman has had our info for a month and not a peep out of him. I faxed the FBI asking about our case, and phoned a week later and spok to a very rude secretary/receptionist? who told me they get hundreds of faxes a week, e-mail them instead, but don't expect an answer for at least 6 weeks!! Contacted the office of my Senator, Daniel Inouye who I think is # 4 or 5 for senators in length of service and a very understanding woman took my info and said she would contact the FBI for me and let me know what's happening next week.

Of course, like Carl said things can and do change all the time.