Wife got visa on 2nd attempt

Guest james&baolan

Guest james&baolan

This is an update from an earlier post concerning my wife being denied her visa at her interview on October 19th. The reason given for denial really blew my mind (that my mother and sister did not visit her on their trip to China at a time I hadn't even met her yet). So after going through the process, here's some things I learned that I'll pass along to those yet to encounter the mysterious minds working at Guangzhou:

1) The REAL reason for denial - my wife speaks little english. The VO, of course, can pick this up right away, and the resulting red flag prompts him to look for any reason he can find to issue the blue slip. So don't get discouraged. I think it's just standard procedure. The official reason given to us was "insufficient evidence of a bona fide relationship". In actuality, we had a ton of evidence.

All I did was write a letter explaining why my mother and sister didn't visit her on their official trip to China, and another letter pinpointing each piece of evidence being submitted. It was the same evidence presented the first time, but that the VO had absolutely refused to look at. Someone told me they HAVE to look at it the second time. But I actually expected another blue slip asking for the infamous 5 minute video communication tape. Of course I was elated when she came out waving the white slip.

2) DON'T go into the building to the left of the waiting line. When my wife initially got the blue slip, we were heralded into this building by a smiling, enthusiastic young chinese woman desiring to help us. So we went into this building and listened to her for a while. Then I asked "how much for your services?" She said she could help us get the visa at a cost of anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. Go figure.

My wife and I are going GREAT now in the USA, and whoever said "It just gets better and better" knew what they were talking about. Though we had to wait a year and a half from start to finish of the process, it was definitely WORTH THE WAIT! A lot of others who have already passed the finish line know what I'm talking about.

Good luck to all who still have interview dates to attend. My best advice is "be patient". It seemed like forever to us at the time, but looking back now, it's only a glimmer.

Congradulations James ~!!! :D --- way to go! and thanks for the valuable information!

Actually, I was thinking about you last night --- was reading one of many accounts about your famous grandfather Claire Chennault --- this account found in: "The Soong Dynasty" by Sterling Seagrave --- this passage documents the famous struggle for control of the US military policy and resources in China between Gen. Chennault and Gen. Joe Stilwell..

Anyway, as I asked once before, am still interested in knowing any personal (or family) stories about the General..

--- Kim