Second Name Check

Why did tGZ refused the shipment, some clearance problem maybe? Our first name check only took 10 days, I just can't understand why this one has taken such long time. One thing I noticed when I got my NOA2 in the mail was that my bf name was splitted in two, but I just didn't minded at the time as all our paperwork had his name spelled correctly.

Hi Mari,

They split all two-syllable given names into two names. My sweetie's given name is "Juxin". That's the way I spelled it on the I-129F, G-325A, etc. That is also how it is spelled on her new and old passports.

And how was it spelled on the post-NVC documents? "Ju Xin"! They insist on doing that to everyone. As far as I know, it didn't cause us any problems. Even her visa says "Ju Xin", even though the passport name is "Juxin". We had no problems getting her thru Immigration.

For the common last name thing, I agree with all, most last names in China are common. Here's a site that talks a bit more about it:

Chinese family names

There it says:

the 20 most common names are used by the majority of Chinese

I heard that 80% of the Chinese population has one of these 20 names. Hard to beleive that. But I do think it's at least 50%.

As long as they are interpreting the split name as all the given name it should be cool. The problem is when they take it as first & middle (what happened to us) that there will be a problem. Either way, keep harassing your Senator & your Congressman until they decide they will inquire to the FBI to get something done for you. They CAN do something here...if they want. B)

My fiance received a call from GZ explaining that they splitted his first name because that's supposed to be the correct format. The man spoke chinese and said that a 4 month wait is not abnormal, even though some name checks are cleared much faster, and that the case that had taken longer took one year to clear!!!! Just to be fair, so far they have responded to us and had assisted us in many ways, like when the P3 was lost in the mail and they kept sending it to us, and they even called him at the time as requested by me. Clearly there aren't enough resources to deal with all the different type of visas that are worked there, not to mention the bureaucratic process in USA.

Obviously the consulate deals with Chinese names every day. One would assume they know that Chinese don't have middle names and how to write them. I think you're stressing over an insignificant detail. Name check is much more likely your problem.

I've concluded that the problem is with his last name, it's really a very common one. It just feels better to know that the Consulate is answering our inquiries, even though it's so frustrating to know that once we pass the name check we"ll have to wait around 5 or 6 more months. :P :( :(