applying for a chinese visa

What do you guys put on your application for your chinese visa in the section "Purpose of your Journey in China"?

I guess have always been a little confused about this but never asked. I think my confusion is b/c of the different definitions for a "tourist visa" for entry to the US vs. entry to China.

Just to clarify, is it OK to put "Visiting my [girlfriend/fiancee or wife]" as the purpose for your visit when applying for a Chinese tourist visa?

Thanks everyone,

Ryan

I do not believe that would cause a problem...but why tempt the fates when entering toursit works?

The Chinese consulate is familiar with "tourist" as an entry.

Who knows, if you enter girlfriend or fiance maybe they will behave as the US consulate and give you a blue slip for more information. :P

I do not believe that would cause a problem...but why tempt the fates when entering toursit works?

The Chinese consulate is familiar with "tourist" as an entry.  

Who knows, if you enter girlfriend or fiance maybe they will behave as the US consulate and give you a blue slip for more information.  :P

it's just that little voice in me that wants to be a precise, accurate, and honest as possible. :P

even though i will be a "tourist" and I will do some "sight seeing" the main PURPOSE of my trip is to see my girl!!! nothing else, nothing less. :(

But i guess i don't want to see this dreaded "blue slip" :( ... so I guess i'll do the same as last time... after all we are going to Hainan, which i guess is quite the place for a... a... ah, a tourist... :D

If you are going to Hainan will you be visitong Sanya?

If you are there is a lovely resort just south of Sanya called Palm Beach Resort. We have stayed there twice and lookiong forward to our next visit.

It is a lovely resort and the rates can be very reasonable.

Have a great time!

Nousername:

I have applied for and received two Chinese Visas (both "Passport Type" Ordinary - "Number of entries" Double Entry) in 2004. "Ordinary" on the Visa application form (BG01) equates to Category L (i.e. Tourist) on the actual Chinese Visa they place in your passport

On the first visa application for "Purpose of journey in China" I stated:

Visit a friend (her name) for sightseeing

On the second visa application for "Purpose of journey in China" I stated:

Visit my girlfriend (her name) and her family

I received the visas in both instances. My belief is to tell the truth. If something unforeseen happens to me in China (such as accident, illness, etc.) and for any reason the Chinese government/police reviews my documentation, then I will not have to worry about explaining this.

Also, on both visa applications for "Name(s), address and phone No. of inviting organization/person in China" I listed my girlfriend's name, address and phone number.

I never had a problem with either visa application.

Mark

My belief is to tell the truth.

Good word. :)

From the little I know about getting a Chinese visa, I understand that if visiting your girlfriend or fiancee then the visa choice for you is the "ordinary" or tourist visa.

anyway, I will put both reasons: to visit my girl and her family, and to sightsee.