Does anyone know if a recent bankruptcy on a petitioners record will cause a red flag or serious problem at the interview? Assuming that all of the I 134 financial requirements are easily met and documented, will they check before the interview to see the petitioners financial records? I know their main concern is the future support of the beneficiary. I am wondering if they will they look into the petitioners past before the interview to check for things like this. I can see that they might check to see if the beneficiary has been a public charge within the last X years, but do you think that is the extent of their investigation (if they even do that much)? Since the I 134 is only presented at the interview, is this the only time they will review the "evidence"?

Any help/comments/related experiences/stories would be appreciated. TIA

I think they do check around sometime. I had the GZ require original returned paycheck, Bank statement even though my I 134 had all the required information with 150% above poverty line requirements.

All depend who is the VO and what they were thinking at the moment of the interview ;) :)

I personally don't think they will look up at bankruptcy records, and even if they do, it's a right to any individual, not a crime. As far as you can provide them with evidence that you can support your future spouse with your current income, or you have a qualifying sponsor, it should be fine. One of the bankruptcy chapters gives the filer the right to reorganize the payments in such a way that they will still be paid, but in a more convenient way. Anyway, it should not be a problem, in any case the petitioner will not get indebted for some time.