Wedding dresses

Hi All,

Well, never having shopped for a wedding dress, was curious what most of y'all ended up doing. I understand that they're supposed to be pretty cheap in China. However, if we could rent one in the US for cheaper we'd just do that. My fiancee has no partiality to keeping a wedding dress for sedimental reasons or anything. Anyone know about how much it costs to rent a wedding dress in the US versus buy one in China? I know it would obviously differ by quality and style, I'm just looking for some insight / ideas / comparsion.

Thanks,

P.J.

My LaoPo wanted a traditional wedding dress/white and knew she would only use one time..so don't spend to much money(her words) we searched the net and found it was cheaper to by one then to rent one(really)..However we went into JC Penny one Saturday just looking for some casual clothing for her and we stumbled upon a rack of wedding gowns that were clearance priced.. She saw one she like was her size(5) and oh boy it was perfect.. This was a all white full length gown fit like a glove no alterations needed Regular price $179/ sale 129 well we took it and she was happy..so I guess it pays to look around also one of the ladies I work with suggested going to a second hand clothing shop she said she bought her dress there for $100.. so you never know look around it could save you a few bucks..My understanding is the prices in GZ for dresses are great my LaoPo bought several chi pais while there and they are beautiful..

:rolleyes: Wedding Dress!!

While I and My Fiance' were shopping in Nanning, China; We did stop and look at some Good Looking Wedding Dresses........there was a choice of colors, and the prices were from about 800 yuan RMB to 1200....about $100-150 USD.......And; though We Intend to get Legally Married, in Tennessee, at One of the Wedding Chapels [ maybe, sorta like Los Vegas? ] They might not have a dress that She will like, or that fits her, soooo, I am thinking of buying one in Nanning....

For anyone interested: The web site ads show a "Package" for furnishing Most Everything, including Many Photos/Clothes/flowers/cake.....for about $600-700 USD

A good friend of mine; and his Thai Fiance', Were Married There==No Problems! And Quickly "Over With".......Wow! That was about 10 months ago! Now, THEY have a Healthy Boy!!

My Fiance' and I consider ourselves as "Already Married".....so, we think of a Formal Legal Marriage as just for the "Legal Proof"........

Filed I-129F K-1/K-2 Dec. 2003 thru Texas Center....

P-3 in July, 2004

Waiting on P-4 And Interview And Visa's!!!!!

My honey and I did a bunch of research into this. I can't remember all of the the exact figures now, but it cost way less than US$100 to buy a custom-made white wedding dress in China (complete with veil, gloves, and tiara), and it cost way more than US$100 to rent one off the rack here in the US. So, she bought her custom-made wedding dress in China. Even if we don't keep it forever, we still saved money :)

She also bought a traditional red silk wedding dress in China also, for less than $50. She'll wear both dresses for the wedding/ceremony/reception/photos, etc. She keeps thinking of it as just a traditional Chinese wedding dress, whereas I think of it as a sexy looking Chinese dress, which hopefully I can convince her to wear at other times too! :D

I'm just going to echo what most have said here - buy one in China. My fiancee bought her's in China for next to nothing in Suzhou. I was a bit worried when she told me how little she paid for it (and I'm actually too embarassed to tell you all now how little it was), but she said don't worry about it, that the design was really nice.

Well, she was right. We had a ceremony this past summer in Shanghai and she wore it there. Beautiful.

Keep in mind that she only had it on for the beginning of the wedding. She also rented 3 qipaos and had one made. And the one she had made was a little on the pricey side, but beautiful, and still far from "expensive". So, anyway, my point here is that if you're doing the more traditional Chinese wedding where she'll be changing dresses 3-20 times, it's not so bad to not pay so much for the wedding gown.

Now hopefully I won't have to wait much longer to see her wear it again in the U.S. at our legal wedding (we decided to have a ceremony in the U.S. and one in China, and to go K1 since I could go through Vermont) . . .

I also had my tux made in Shanghai. I figured if I was going to wear it at least two times I might as well have one made so I can keep it for other things. I probably could have shopped around and gotten it a fair amount cheaper, and Shanghai isn't the cheapest place in Asia to have suits made to begin with, but I had the whole thing done for around U.S.$400, and I was stylin' ... let me tell you.

As i know,Buying a wedding dress in china is much cheaper than in US,plus that u can buy a fitable wedding dress in china,coz some of chinese gals size are too small,hard to buy or rent a suitable one in US.i just bought one in beijing two weeks ago,nice and elegant,and not too expensive.the price varies from 180rmb to 1000 rmb due to the quality and style. i also heard that guangzhou and suzhou both are good places to buy wedding dresses.:)

I'm just going to echo what most have said here - buy one in China.  My fiancee bought her's in China for next to nothing in Suzhou.  I was a bit worried when she told me how little she paid for it (and I'm actually too embarassed to tell you all now how little it was), but she said don't worry about it, that the design was really nice.

Well, she was right.  We had a ceremony this past summer in Shanghai and she wore it there.  Beautiful. 

Keep in mind that she only had it on for the beginning of the wedding.  She also rented 3 qipaos and had one made.  And the one she had made was a little on the pricey side, but beautiful, and still far from "expensive".  So, anyway, my point here is that if you're doing the more traditional Chinese wedding where she'll be changing dresses 3-20 times, it's not so bad to not pay so much for the wedding gown.

Now hopefully I won't have to wait much longer to see her wear it again in the U.S. at our legal wedding (we decided to have a ceremony in the U.S. and one in China, and to go K1 since I could go through Vermont) . . .

I also had my tux made in Shanghai.  I figured if I was going to wear it at least two times  I might as well have one made so I can keep it for other things.  I probably could have shopped around and gotten it a fair amount cheaper, and Shanghai isn't the cheapest place in Asia to have suits made to begin with, but I had the whole thing done for around U.S.$400, and I was stylin' ... let me tell you.

I am wondering if you could PM with more details about your g/f dress?? Price, name of the shop she made her dresses...

I am in Shanghai and boy...nothing cheap here. However, I heard Suzhou or somewhere has lower prices and good designs but I can't figure out where? :( Mind to share your screts? :)

I am wondering if you could PM with more details about your g/f dress?? Price, name of the shop she made her dresses...

I am in Shanghai and boy...nothing cheap here. However, I heard Suzhou or somewhere has lower prices and good designs but I can't figure out where? :lol: Mind to share your screts? :lol:

I'm not sure about the locaiton in Suzhou where she bought the actual wedding gown, as she did that without me. I'll see if I can get some info from her and let you know. We'll have to receive a commission, of course. :P

As for the qipaos she rented, she went into a shop not too far from Cheng Hua Miao. There's a whole line of them there that do sales and rentals, so shop around. The place where she rented them from actually moved after she gave them her deposit, so she was angry for a couple of weeks when she couldn't find them, but then they turned up again and honored their agreement, so it was all good.

As for the qipao she had made, I think she spent a bit too much, but it was at a shop on Shaanxi Lu .. I think. There's a few places there along the street as well. It is really pretty though. Hanging in my closet at the moment.

I am in Shanghai and boy...nothing cheap here. However, I heard Suzhou or somewhere has lower prices and good designs but I can't figure out where? :lol: Mind to share your screts? :lol:

I'm not sure about the locaiton in Suzhou where she bought the actual wedding gown, as she did that without me. I'll see if I can get some info from her and let you know. We'll have to receive a commission, of course. :P

As for the qipaos she rented, she went into a shop not too far from Cheng Hua Miao. There's a whole line of them there that do sales and rentals, so shop around. The place where she rented them from actually moved after she gave them her deposit, so she was angry for a couple of weeks when she couldn't find them, but then they turned up again and honored their agreement, so it was all good.

As for the qipao she had made, I think she spent a bit too much, but it was at a shop on Shaanxi Lu .. I think. There's a few places there along the street as well. It is really pretty though. Hanging in my closet at the moment.

Thanks!

I will go check it out. For the qipao, there is varied prices and quality so some shop can make really nice one.

Thanks again!

Anne

Sarah bought a traditional dress in Nanjing at a very small shop before we came over. We went up a rickety staircase and spoke to some salesperson. It was under $50 and looked great. I saw some with fancy beading, etc for about $150. I recommend that she pkg. it up well as the nasty air in China can stain/discolor the dress. Sarah had to wash it before she wore it.

You're not going to believe this but it is true. Li bought a wedding dress, and I mean a gorgeous one, white with the veil and everything in GZ for...get this....120 RMB. We still have it and it is in great shape. Good quality. Don't know the name of the shop but as I recall it is a fairly well-know place in GZ.

By all means, by it in China PJ. Going to save a bundle!