Going to China in October

Guest Fionas_Fiance
I am visiting my SO in October 15 - October 24.  I am flying into Hong Kong on the 14th, and crossing the border via bus. On the 16th we are going to Beijing on a tour. We will see the Forbidden City, the Great wall, and more (it is a five day tour). After that is finish, we return to Shenzhen for a day or two and then I leave for the US again. I hope to take many photos, and post a few on the gallery here. I am starting to wish the day was already here, but I must wait more then 2 weeks still.

Is there anyone else here that is going at the same time?

Just out of curiosity, are you taking the Lo Mein bus line to Sheng Shui and then taking the train to Lo Wu, or are you going straight to Lo Wu by bus, or...? Taking the bus to Sheng Shui worked great for me, but if there is an even quicker way, I'd love to know about it.

I'm making my second trip to China in a couple of days. I'll be in Beijing living with Fiona at our apartment in Haidian district from Oct 1st to 23rd. We should get DSL installed this week so just send me a PM.

I'm also planning on going back to Beijing from Dec 8th to Jan 6th.

QUOTE "If you make it to Xi'an, try to stay INSIDE the wall...

This is one of the last walled cities of the world, and when I visited in 1999, I was very sorry that I didn't stay inside, where the night life, and street scene is very rich.. " QUOTE

Thanks Kim, I'll make it a point to do that if I go. I'll definitely stay within the wall. Very good suggestion!

The fastest way into Shenzhen is through Huang Gong border. You can buy a bus ticket outside arrival hall A in Hong Kong airport for 100HKD. Bus takes about an hour and a half - then you can get a taxi from the border into Shenzhen. Takes about 2 hours instead of 3-4 going through Lo Wu. Plus you dont have to fight the crowd on the train.

I'll be taking this route when I go back to Shenzhen on Oct 8 returning back to USA (hopefully with Jade) on Nov 27. This is my 8th trip in the past year.

We turned in I129F on Sep 15,2003.

Returned P3 on May 24,2004.

Jeff

If your flight gets into Hong Kong early enough you can take the ferry boat. I think the last one leaves at 7:00pm (they dont run it at night). My United Airlines flight gets in at 6:05pm so after customs I dont have time to catch the ferry. But if your flight gets in before 5pm the ferry is the fastest route. Although, it takes you to Sherko which is about an hour from down town Shenzhen.

Jeff

Still waiting for P3 from Guangzhou so based on other's time lines I guess I can expect her Interview about January.

I plan on visiting November 18 until 28. Thinking of going through Hong Kong into Shenzen, then maybe onto Guangzhou (my fiancee has family there) or to Nanning where most of her family is and where she lives.

Any one with information on best way to get either to Guangzhou or Nanning from Hong Kong - Shenzen would be appreaciated.

Good luck to those of you going for your ladies interview.

Mike

Hey Mike!

Nice to hear you will be in China in Nov.!

Personally, unless you have business in Shenzhen, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would cross the border there --- all of the border crossings in Shenzhen are time consuming at best, (often requiring transportation changes) And at worst, I was accosted at Lo Wu, and narrowly avoided a pick-pocket and violence (I was about to instigate it)..

Now, I always take the non-stop train directly from Hong Kong to Guangzhou, where customs are fast and easy..

Hmm, my flight arrives at 8:00 AM, so that's not a problem. Is there a consensus on the best way to get to Guangzhou? Seems there are 3 choices:

Train to Guangzhou

Bus to border, then taxi to shenzhen

Boat to the port at shenzhen, then 1 hour to downtown

My fiancee can meet me in guangzhou or shenzhen, but we'll be staying in guangzhou, so we'll have to get there eventually. Seems the direct train might be best? Is it easy to find this train from the hk airport?

I don't believe the bus and train to Lo Wu is that bad. It is only about an hour bus ride and then off the bus through to turnstiles and one stop to the border. I have done it twice, and it is quick.

The ferry is more expensive, but will take you to ShenZhen. It is about an hour trip by ferry.

Anyway you go is good as long as your beloved is with you or waiting to meet you.

Dave

Any one with information on best way to get either to Guangzhou or Nanning from Hong Kong - Shenzen would be appreaciated.

I would recommend the connecting flight or the shuttle bus. I'm not sure about the price for a connecting flight from HK to other places, but if we buy it in GZ it will only cost for about 1k RMB for a round trip.

Shuttle bus is convinient too, because there are lots of them at the airport and they run every 15 mins. But going through the customs was really great pain. You will have to wait in long queue, and it usually take double or triple time at weekends than normal working days. If you do not have lots of luggages, shuttle bus may not be a bad choice. But since there are always loads of buses at the customs, make sure you remember the bus plate No. The whole trip from HK airport to GZ will take 3-4 hours, depending on the number of ppl going through customs.

Cory took a connecting flight from HK to GZ when he came see me 2 weeks ago. It cost more but it was much more convenient. You may check some HK travel agencies, they may have some good deals on flights to and from mainland China.