Mid Autumn Holiday is now?

Kinda like some harvest festivals or OctoberFest we celebrate here, the Chinese have a Mid Autumn holiday about now. Damn, another holiday without my wife.

I should get some moon cakes in Chinatown. They are delicious. My wife doesn't like the moon cakes they sold here in USA. She likes the one that has fruits inside.

Is it prohibited to ship or bring mookcakes; from China to the US? :)

I was weaned onto mooncakes by a Vietnamese girlfriend years ago. So I appreciate them, though I can't eat them everyday.

Yesterday (I'm in Nanning) my fiancees Aunt gave me an expensive box of mooncakes.

So if I bring them back in my luggage, will they be confiscated? :)

Is it prohibited to ship or bring mookcakes; from China to the US? :o

I was weaned onto mooncakes by a Vietnamese girlfriend years ago. So I appreciate them, though I can't eat them everyday.

Yesterday (I'm in Nanning) my fiancees Aunt gave me an expensive box of mooncakes.

So if I bring them back in my luggage, will they be confiscated?  :(

Mooncakes are not fruits, veggies, or arms explosives. They should be okay as long they don't get here by boat (will not be fresh). However, it will be very expensive to ship them over here.

I think it is now US policy not to allow any food products through the mail system. At least into the US. Ling tried to mail me some cookies and tea 2 months ago and China Post said she couldn't because the US will send it back. Not even the tea. I mentioned this to some coworkers and they commented that they are experiencing the same problem with relatives in Japan. No food stuffs allowed.

Not sure if it terrorism related or US fears of imported diseases and pests. I'm pretty sure they will not allow any kind of meat product, even if dried and cured into the US. That includes bringing it with you. Fear of Mad-Cow disease I suspect.

My bf wanted to send me some mooncakes for my upcoming birthday, but China Post told his dad that no food is allowed thru the mail, especially if it comes from China :D :( :( I now remember that he wanted me to bring some cooked Beijing duck to my parents at the time the chicken disease broke last January, and I said: "no way, I"ll be deported to China if I do something like this!!!!

To me moon cakes are sort of like our culture's Christmas fruit cakes --- make wonderful gifts! (and can be regifted year after year..)

I was in China last moon festival with Fei --- I told her what I thought about moon cakes I had had in the past, and she said: "Oh no! you will like moon cake in China! Much fresher than America!" --- tried it, but seemed like the same animal to me...

Several years ago there was a big mooncake scandal in Nanjing, I think... Some mooncake company was reselling the same cakes they had pulled from the shelves after the festival three years earlier... have to hand it to the Chinese cop who broke that case --- how did he know they were three years old???? But yeah, was over at the Chinese market today, and mooncake was really flying out the door!

About American customs: Coming back this July, they took my fresh fruit, (beautiful Chinese apples) --- but let my future father in-laws green tea gift in....

My bf wanted to send me  some mooncakes for my upcoming birthday, but China Post told his dad that no food is allowed thru the mail, especially if it comes from China :(  :(  :( I now remember that he wanted me to bring some cooked Beijing duck to my parents at the time the chicken disease broke last January, and I said: "no way, I"ll be deported to China if I do something like this!!!!

Mari,

I bet if you had bought a seat on the plane for the duck, they would have let it in. I really would like to see the face of the Customs agent if you had brought a whole duck with you. :D

Jon

What's up with the pricing?

At least in Shanghai. Wife got 5 of them (all of 2-1/4" in diameter) at the bakery last night (certficate from work). Their cost for hundreds of these highly discounted packages were 108 RMB. There were several others W/ speciality fillings on display and not much larger for 800- 1000 RMB. My eyes got bigger than the moon cakes when I saw this. Tribute or not I don't care to spend $20-30 a cake for a few bites.

Maybe I ought to import some RC coke-A- ma-cola and "moon pies" over chere raight now?????

:) Richard