I-864: Which is better?

Does anyone know if INS has a preference between IRS tax transcripts and photocopies of my 1040? I know that logically it shouldn't make any difference to them. But we all know how straight forward INS is :blink:

I have my copies of the last 3 years of tax papers and I can also get transcripts (since it's free). But is it worth bothering with the transcripts if I have the copies of my 1040 forms? Thanks in advance.

olemanoman1950 and warpedbored - first, I thank both of you. warpedbored, you said you have seen something on the USCIS website about transcripts. Any chance you remember the page address? :)

Also, do I have to send the W-2s? I have no problem - I have the copies. But doesn't the I-864 form say that ONLY if you filed jointly BUT want to use only your own income then you should send your W-2s?

I guess I'll be sending my W-2s anyway - just to be on the safe side. How does that sound? Thanks again.

By the way - I have officially given up hope on my K-3 case :blink: Is MSC hiring adjudicating officers? I’ll work as a part-time employee :)

I just dug it up again John. It was from the Portland area office link. It could be that every office is different. Here is what it said.

If required, Form I-864 - Affidavit of Support, must be submitted along with all supporting documents at the time of filing. Supporting documents include the last three most recently filed Federal Income Tax Returns (IRS transcripts of filing are recommended) with the relevant Form W-2 and a current letter of employment for all sponsors included in the Affidavit of Support.

I found some info on form I-864 that might help others. The complete page can be seen here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/fa...eets/affaqa.htm

Here are couple of sections:

14. What portion(s) of Federal income tax returns should be submitted with the affidavit of support?

The legal definition of a tax return includes the tax return as well as all supporting supplements, schedules, attachments, or lists which were filed with the return. Sponsors are required to submit all of these materials as they were submitted to IRS for themselves and any other persons whose income is used to qualify.

18. Which income line from the federal tax return is used for income determination?

The line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 (line 22 in 1996) and 1040A (line 14 in 1996) is used to determine income. The line for adjusted gross income is used for persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ (line 4 in 1996).