Civil surgeon and SSN

Today I took Bing down the civil surgeon for the vaccination supplement form for the I-693. It took about 15 minutes and they didn't even charge us anything. Next we went to the Social Security office to apply for her SSN. Once our number was called it took about 10 minutes. all we needed was her passport with her I-94 and our marriage license for the name change. They said her Social Security card would be sent in about 2 weeks. After that we had lunch then went down to have adit photos taken for the AOS. Bing said she had some from the I-129F but they are over a year old so I thought we should get new ones. Good thing we did since the lady at the passport photo place said she had recieved a memo from the Portland USCIS office saying that the photos have to be taken with eye glasses off. Next stop the bank to have the I-864 notarized then mail it all off.

Hey Carl, I hope you don't have the same experiences I had. I applied for Fagn Ling's SSN in mid-April . Same procedure you followed. They said two weeks. Mid June I called them and they sqid it was lost and come apply again. When I got down there they said it can't be lost as they don't make mistakes. So I can't apply again. I-94 has expired so now I have to wait for the EAD.

Good luck friend.

Hi Gang

We got Jings SS card within 3 or 4 days of her being here with the statement not authorized to work stamped on it. And followed the same route as you did passport etc no problem. Since we have married we proceeded to the office again with the same docs and the marriage license.. I also applied for a new card my was old and falling apart.. I got mine in about 1.5 weeks.. Still waitng on her's It was 2 weeks this past Monday.. I am eager the see what happens she already has a number this is just a name change due to marriage if I do not get by Friday I will make the call.. The person who handled this at the SS office never batted an eye..

Mike

It is all so confusing. Since Portland is fast I was going to skip the EAD. Longstrider told me his wife recieved her green card about 2 weeks after EAD so it was a waste of money. Bing isn't planning on going to work right away anyway since she is taking ESL classes. I presume that if we file AOS without the EAD and it looks like it will take longer than we thought we can file the EAD seperately,

Right

Your right the K-1 is eleigable to work so SS issued with-in 90 days no problem.. However I am eager to see if they will do the name change since now married and still leave the not eligible to work, only with CIS approval on the card,, I do not see a reason not to change the name they already issued a number the rest is just a formality BUT knowig our friends at the GOV who the heck knows what they will do I will keep you all posted on this.

My train of thought is, when filing the AOS to do the work permit at the same time.. However if they are going to issue the AOS within 6 months I will hold back on the work permit.. HOWEVER I have to go through Atlanta and am not sure of the time delay to AOS So this is something I have to dig up..My wife has asked me several times about getting a job she really does not need to but of course wants to send money to family in China..I told her I would give her the money but the response is "This is your money,not my money" Arn't Chinese ladies great!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Right

Your right the K-1 is eleigable to work so SS issued with-in 90 days no problem.. However I am eager to see if they will do the name change since now married and still leave the not eligible to work, only with CIS approval on the card,, I do not see a reason not to change the name they already issued a number the rest is just a formality BUT knowig our friends at the GOV who the heck knows what they will do I will keep you all posted on this.

My train of thought is, when filing the AOS to do the work permit at the same time.. However if they are going to issue the AOS within 6 months I will hold back on the work permit.. HOWEVER I have to go through Atlanta and am not sure of the time delay to AOS So this is something I have to dig up..My wife has asked me several times about getting a job she really does not need to but of course wants to send money to family in China..I told her I would give her the money but the response is "This is your money,not my money" Arn't Chinese ladies great!! 

Mike

Follow up

Well we received a letter today 7/27 from SS. And they said they contacted CIS and would not issue a name change on her SS card as her visa has run out 90 day K-1.. So will have to file AOS to get new card with her married name on it. I guess if we had requested right after marring she would have gotten as we had about 30 days left on the Visa. Well at least she has a SSN and that was my main purpose to get her into insurance and the financial system. Bank of Amrica had no problem using her married name we brought our marrige cert with us, which they did ask to see. The biggest problem right now is explaining to her that all the credit card offers she is getting(to fill out apps) don't mean a thing..Hope this helps others.. :angry: