Hey guys!Rikk and i are getting married in a week. It'll take some time for us to prepare the whole I-485 package but i really want to work as soon as we get married.Already boring staying at home all day:-)

So,my question is, as soon as we get married,can we apply for EAD right away before we apply for I-485??Or we HAVE TO apply for I-485 first??

Thanks for any advice.

I have recently filed I-485 and EAD. If memory serves me, you can file them together but the EAD directions clearly state that, unless filed at the same time with I-485, you must include proof of filing I-485 e. g receipt from BCIS. However, I believe that if it is a social security card you want, you may be able to apply if you haven't married. I'm sure many other will know more than I do--Soooooo stay tuned.

Trigg

Hey guys!Rikk and i are getting married in a week. It'll take some time for us to prepare the whole I-485 package but i really want to work as soon as we get married.Already boring staying at home all day:-)

So,my question is, as soon as we get married,can we apply for EAD right away before we apply for I-485??Or we HAVE TO apply for I-485 first??

Thanks for any advice.

Take a look at this thread

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....74f1576f3ab7dea

Back to your question, Dian. File the EAD application with your I-485 and expect to wait a couple of months to get it. In the meantime, get your SSN.

Don, I have an urgent need to get my wife and stepdaughter a SSN--don't give hoot if they work or not. I thought I had to get an EAD before I could get a SSN. I filed for SSN for my wife 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. I need the SSNs for ID purposes for the VA and Insurance. It is costing me around $400 a month without them. So, how do I get SSN without waiting for EAD??

Back to your question, Dian. File the EAD application with your I-485 and expect to wait a couple of months to get it. In the meantime, get your SSN.

Don, I have an urgent need to get my wife and stepdaughter a SSN--don't give hoot if they work or not. I thought I had to get an EAD before I could get a SSN. I filed for SSN for my wife 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. I need the SSNs for ID purposes for the VA and Insurance. It is costing me around $400 a month without them. So, how do I get SSN without waiting for EAD??

If you filed and they accepted her application, it is just a matter of time. Before they issue it, they will pass it by BCIS to see if they are in the computer as a K-1 (sorry, I don't remember your situation).

A K-1 is entitled to work as a condition of the visa class. Some, or many, of the SSA staff don't realize it. You need to be insistant that your spouse is entitled to work and is eligible for a SSN. An EAD is NOT required if the SSN application is filed within 75 days or so from arriving in the US. The SSN card will have some printing that says it is only valid with proof of eligibilty to work. No big deal.

After filing AOS and EAD (one year version), the EAD and SSN is all that is needed to be hired by an employer.

Here's the Catch-22: If you wait too long to apply for the SSN, 75 days or so, they will refuse to issue without and EAD card. This can set a K-1 holder back a couple of months in getting an SSN. A bigger Catch-22 is that SSA seems to require an EAD for children holding K-2 visas as they are NOT eligible for employment as a condition of status.

Lord help those who are not familiar with government logic. :(

Trigg, I understand your situation. If the SSN application was accepted, you will get it as soon as they can confirm that your wife is here legally. I would also push to have your insurance and VA stuff backdated to her arrival....once she gets her SSN.

OK Don, I appreciate the help. I filed for her SSN in early April. At that time they said it would take 3 weeks. Maybe I'll call the SSN people. I'm not sure how they would trace her application as she has no SSN and there was no reciept given to me. I didn't apply for the stepdaughters SSN as she is only 14 and I figured she will, have to wait for SSN. However, if I can get SSN for my wife, I can get the ball rolling. Government Logic---Arrrgggg! :(