Has anyone done a "preemptive strike" and stocked the kitchen prior to her arrival? - a wok, utensils, etc etc etc.

Does anyone have 10 cents worth of free advice?

:huh:

If you want to spend your money twice, go ahead and get the kitchen ready :huh:

The wok I got was not to Jingwen's liking (bought a second). The meat cleaver didn't feel right (bought a seond). The bowls were not the right size/color (bought more). The chopsticks were too Japanese (bought more). The towels weren't the right type (bought more). Fortunately, the cooktop vent was okay (didn't buy it since it was already in the house), and I did wait until she arrived before I bought a rice steamer.

In hindsight, I would not have spent the money trying to stock the kitchen but would have gone shopping for the kitchen with Jingwen as soon as she arrived - ended up doing that anyway. :P

I'll give an amen to what Frank said. I did pretty much the same thing and, like Frank, had to buy it twice. Whatever you do now will be wrong. Whatever you do after she gets here will be wrong unless you get prior approval from her. Just go with the flow.

Trigg :huh:

J-man -

You must ask your self, "how much do I like garage sales". Because that is where you will deposite your pre-emptive strike.

I'm thinking that my electric stove is next on the hit list. The cooktop vent was so puny that I had to do a Tim Allen style home improvement on it. Wound up with a 600 cfm vapor extractor from work. I don't even have to vac the house anymore. Just sweep the stuff in the general area of the stove, and it disappears. Good idea to keep the shirt tucked in too, while cooking.

Dean

Hmmmmmmmm... I told my wife I wanted to bring some chop sticks back with me, I made sure she picked out what she liked, lol I learned while over there let them decide not us..She sent back some draperies with me. I asked her where she wanted me to hang them, She NO NO NO I do do leave in suit case.. LOL I am considering emptying out the entire house and let her buy it all, she said it would look better with a womens touch.

I am still puzzled about how to do the bathroom. ;)

Guest jimb

I think you should at least get her a couple of sets of these knives. Great sale price,

Kyocera Kyotop 6 Piece Set-HIP, Wood Handle + Free Ground Shipping + Free Autographed "Simply Ming" Cookbook

Regular price: $1,295.00

Ming's Sale Price: $1,095.00

jimb

Guest jimb

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 801

You guys gave me a good laugh, you all are so wise, keep up the good work.

--------------------

Filed I-129F at VSC: March 16, 2004

NOA1: March 17, 2004

NOA2: May 7, 2004

Yes! It's that stuff they spray on swimming pools. Be sure to coat everything, walls ceilings, doors, floor, cabinets, leave windows open, but do the frames and woodwork. If you have baseboard heat, pay special attention to that. don't do the mirror. Put a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor, make it a large drain. Install pleanty of bars and hooks to hang wet cloths.

jimb

Yes!  It's that stuff they spray on swimming pools.  Be sure to coat everything, walls ceilings, doors, floor,  cabinets, leave windows open, but do the frames and woodwork.  If you have baseboard heat, pay special attention to that.  don't do the mirror. Put a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor, make it a large drain.  Install pleanty of bars and hooks to hang wet cloths.

I see jim has learned the hard way- same as me. If it moves, water proof it. If it doesn't move, water proof it. If it is wet, dry it and water proof it. If it is dry---never mind, it won't be. :unsure:

Trigg

Guest jimb

Advanced Member

Group: Admin

Member No.: 18

Sounds like you guys may have a Chinese wife at home.

One thing I could never figure out is what is so hard about shaking the water off your hands in the sink instead of the floor?

--------------------

Chinese proverb: The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.

Don't waste water, you need to rinse your feet off before you leave the bathroom.

jimb