And here is what I have been using for good hotel rates

http://www.asiahotels.com/ and here is a linlk to a good map site of Hong Kong. http://www.ypmap.com/en/viewer.asp?mapServ...ice=LocationMap

And Visa purchase in HK 1 day service if in by 9AM up to maybe 11AM roughly 1100HKD for 6 month multi

Japan Travel Agency Ltd.

Room 507-513 5/fl East Ocean Centre

90 Granville Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong

tel 231689151

Mark and Bea

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going from HKG to LAX or SFO the absolute best service and most comfortable flights I have found are on Cathay Pacafic (www.cathaypacific.com).  Then since LA is a major hub from LAX to whereever should be a decent price.  The one way originating from HKG was a fortune but I kept checking and one day the price dropped to $700.

Funny because they have a standing roundtrip special LAX or SFO nonstop (and round trip) for $599, but for one way they wanted over $1000.  The main problem is to get the special deal originating from HKG I had to physically show them my credit card.  Since I moved to LA no prob.

Not to beat their drum but the nice seats, each with their own TV show many movies in both English and/or Chinese.  The staff speak both languages and are actualy helpful.  The one time I flew United it was like an act of Congress to get some service and then it felt like they hated me for asking for a snack.  What a difference, I will never fly United again.

I also had a wonderful experience with Cathay when I went to HK last year. That was my first flight anywhere! Very comfortable, great service, and cute flight attendants :( In addition to the individual movies, you can also watch a GPS map of the flight with your location, travel time, altitude, wind speed, etc.....helped alot for this first-time flier! You also can choose a tail-mounted camera for a plane's-eye view; you can actually see the curvature of the Earth :lol: I'm flying Cathay again when I visit Lai in two weeks :P

I used www.CheapTickets.com the first time, costing about $958. This time I used Fly China and paid $828 (Cheap Tickets was over $1000).

Frank how about one way with JAL from HK to JFK?

We will be bringing both the cat and the baby and from what I read JAl is only one which will let the cat ride in the cabin, unfortunately the baby will have to fly in the hold.. sigh :(

heheh just kidding!! I hope Bea doesn't read this one...;)

Mark and Bea

Don, Carl, Natrigon et. al ~

Well, I am actively pricing right now for flights to HK or GZ to see My Darling Fei, and am having very bad luck! Seems all the good deals are gone for now, and if anyone knows a deal available from Portland, OR to either city, that is under $1000.00 US please let me know!!

Don -- the direct flight from Portland to Narita (starts 6-10) will save substantial time for Portlanders, to any other destination in eastern China I am finding out.... but it is also SOLD OUT mostly... And they are flying older Airbus aircraft for now, which I don't think is appropriate for such a long flight ---- no lounge areas to streach legs ...

natrigon, your experiences reflect mine regarding Cathay Pacific and United.... Cathay Pacific is the only airline that I will take their monthly specials email --- because they REALLY do have good specials -- much better than if booking on line... And I agree, their service is better in coach -----but don't expect one additional square inch more than the others for leg room etc..

United left me stranded in Bangkok this last Feb. Simply canceled a 747 flight to Narita, and basicaly walked away, leaving about 250 people to fend for themselves.... several hours later I managed to catch a Thai Airlines flight --- Wonderful Airline! wonderful service --- now my favorate in Asia.....

--Kim

Don, Carl, Natrigon et. al ~

Well, I am actively pricing right now for flights to HK or GZ to see My Darling Fei, and am having very bad luck!  Seems all the good deals are gone for now, and if anyone knows a deal available from Portland, OR to either city, that is under $1000.00 US  please let me know!!

Don -- the direct flight from Portland to Narita  (starts 6-10) will save substantial time for Portlanders, to any other destination in eastern China I am finding out.... but it is also SOLD OUT mostly... And they are flying older Airbus aircraft for now, which I don't think is appropriate for such a long flight ---- no lounge areas to streach legs ...

natrigon, your experiences reflect mine regarding Cathay Pacific and United....  Cathay Pacific is the only airline that I will take their monthly specials email  --- because they REALLY do have good specials -- much better than if booking on  line... And I agree, their service is better in coach -----but don't expect one additional square inch more than the others for leg room etc..

United left me stranded in Bangkok this last Feb.  Simply canceled a 747 flight to Narita, and basicaly walked away, leaving about 250 people to fend for themselves....  several hours later I managed to catch a Thai Airlines flight --- Wonderful Airline! wonderful service ---  now my favorate in Asia.....

--Kim

My round trip ticket from PDX to HKG was 664 dollars at fly china. com.

Thanks, Carl,

But the airfare worm has turned regarding fares to China and quite suddenly ---now it is about 1,200 on the same web site....

:(

--Kim

$1200 that is low I looked last night it was higher then that for the off season, God I hope the prices drop by Aug.

Personally, I have found to get a cheaper rate then consolidators is through travelocity, but through yahoo.com......set it up through www.my.yahoo.com and set up the travel alerts page for your city.

Travelocity is so damn frustrating, they give you this calendar to click on the date you want and you click every single one and it always says sorry not available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

An update because I purchased tickets for September yesterday. MM had found cheap tickets at FlyChina.com and I had found some at around the same price on Sidestep.com..$855 round trip to Hong Kong from New Orleans. I decided to buy because I heard with rising fuel prices tickets would be going up. I know they may still tack on a surcharge at the ticket counter when I check in, but I think it would be less than a raised fare.

David

Brain fart. The flight with China Eastern Airline booked thru www.flychina.com is NON-REFUNDABLE & NONCHANGEABLE.

I had a non-refundable/Nonechangeable ticket on China southern and changed my departure date in GZ. It costed aroound $80.00 if memory serves. :o

High ticket prices June - August...

Boy, I'll say!! Unfortunately, Portland OR is not a gateway to Asia, really, ---

(Starting June 10, NW starts direct service Portland to Toyko --- and that will be nice because for Portlanders, it will substantially cut travel time to points in China, in most cases, but they have NO direct competition --- and of course, they know it..

Got a June 20 ticket to HKG for $1,088 total... man, thats nothing to write home about ....

Only saving grace is they are offering 5,000 - 10,000 (depending on class) -- bonus miles (on top of the regular trip miles) for using the new service, which in my case, will bump me very close to a free round trip (think post interview!)..

Hummmm.... maybe should think about the P-3 first ~ gettin' a little ahead....

--Kim