You can travel to Mexico/Canada w/expired green card and I-797 extensi

I just got back vacationing in Mexico with my wife and I want to share my experience going through US and MEX customs. i did some research before we left but didn't find any definitive answer online so hopefully this will give more clarity and alleviate someone's stress.

Short Story

YES, you can travel to Mexico and Canada with expired 2 year conditional permananent residence card (green card), just don't forget to bring your ORIGINAL I-797 extension letter; this is very important, no copies or file saved on your cell phone - you must bring original letter of extension. Have a good and relaxing vacation and stop worrying :)

Long story

My wife's 2 year conditional PR card expiration date is Nov. of 2017. We applied for I-751 and received the I-797 extension letter in August of 2017.

Airline counter agent: Requested to see extension letter when she saw the expired card.

Mexican customs officer: Looked at her Chinese passport and the expired PR card, stamped wife's passport, did not request to see extension letter.

US customs officer: Saw her Chinese passport and expired PR card, my wife voluntarily handed her the extension letter but the officer replied "oh, I don't need to see the letter if you just went to Mexico or Canada. If you went back to China, then I'd have to see it."

Some people online advocate getting I-551 stamp on the passport just to be safe but we did not do that. So there you have it! Stop worrying and enjoy your vacation :happydance:

Cheers,

John

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Good information! Thank you!

My wife's relative passed away this weekend and she and my stepson are travelling to China on Wednesday for the funeral. It all happened quite fast, so we didn't have a chance to get their passports stamped. Their 2-year PR cards have expired in January, and we have received the 797 NOA extension letter. I was making copies for them to bring with them, but now I know for them to bring the originals.

Again, thanks!

Warren