SSN question

Hi all, been a while. I have a question about getting a SSN, however it requires a short background. The question is simply: can my niece get a SS card?

Background.

My niece, Wendy, is my wife's brothers daughter. She is a Chinese citizen, but has been living with us in the states for the last four years. We have tried the adoption route with no success and/or future hope. Nonetheless, we are trying to keep her here. She is currently 12 - too young I know - but we are looking towards the time she turns 16. Anyway, she is here on a ten year f-1 school visa and is attending a private school. In the future I am hoping to gain her citizenship, but for right now (or rather when she turns 16) we want her to be able to find a job of some sort. Hey, private schools are expensive! I have done some research and I do find information pertaining to university/college students but nothing on our situation.

Come on Dan, still got it in you?

Yer old friend Steve

Hi all, been a while. I have a question about getting a SSN, however it requires a short background. The question is simply: can my niece get a SS card?

Background.

My niece, Wendy, is my wife's brothers daughter. She is a Chinese citizen, but has been living with us in the states for the last four years. We have tried the adoption route with no success and/or future hope. Nonetheless, we are trying to keep her here. She is currently 12 - too young I know - but we are looking towards the time she turns 16. Anyway, she is here on a ten year f-1 school visa and is attending a private school. In the future I am hoping to gain her citizenship, but for right now (or rather when she turns 16) we want her to be able to find a job of some sort. Hey, private schools are expensive! I have done some research and I do find information pertaining to university/college students but nothing on our situation.

Come on Dan, still got it in you?

Yer old friend Steve

Hey there, Mr. Old Friend! Come on by more often.

SSN eligibility generally hinges on work authorization, so - if she's eligible to work, no problem!

From the SSA pamphlet - Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens

International students: If you’re an F-1 or M-1 student, we need to see your Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. For information on other documents that students must provide, ask for International Students And Social Security Numbers (Publication No. 05-10181).

Hi Randy, yeah its been a while. Sure do appreciate the friendship that I built with you and a few others. Catch your photos on Fb, really nice and (believe it or not with my reputation - kinda make me nostalgic for China - especially these days.

Anyway, We might have an I 20 - have to see - and after that I will probably need to contact the SSA directly. Life used to be so simple.

I am incredibly busy being a dad and all to an adolescent girl, nonetheless I will see if any posts interest me to add my cynical yet compassionate two cents.

Anyone know how to contact Bing (Carl's wife)?

Well, see ya,

Steve

• Like 1