"High End" Foreigners

from the SCMP. As near as I can tell, the difference is that they're FREE for these folk.

Human resources director can now apply for 10-year multiple entry visa, state media reports

Several other executive from multinational companies – including Joe Kaeser, president and chief executive of Siemens – had applied for one of the new certificates, it said.

The document is a prerequisite for anyone applying for a new five- or 10-year multiple-entry visa, which entitles the holder to stay in the country for up to 180 days at a time.

Beijing is one of nine cities and provinces that are trialling the new scheme. Authorities in the capital said they would process all applications for the high-end talent certificates within five days. There are no fees for either the certificate or the visa.

. . .

According to government guidelines, as well as corporate executives and professors, “high-end” foreigners are defined as Nobel Prize winners, chief editors of Chinese state media, top sportspeople and coaches, and professionals – especially in the fields of science and IT – earning at least six times China’s average annual wage, which in Beijing in 2016 was 92,477 yuan (US$14,270), according to official figures.

Most foreigners working in China have to renew their visas every one or two years.

I believe that last statement still applies for those of us who stay beyond 180 days - my 3 year residence permit is up in March