i-864 co sponsor that filed taxes jointly

2 Questions-

1- I just got a family member to cosponsor my spouse on the i-864 form, but my family member filed taxes jointly for the previous year. Does that mean that my family member's spouse also needs to fill out an i-864 since the taxes were filed jointly?

2 - I didn't have a paying job for the previous 6 years in China since I was on a student visa (for a Master's, then a PHD). What kind of proof is useful for proving I made below taxable income, which I would have to file if I checked that box on the i-864?

Thanks everybody!

Edited by Muscley_Love (see edit history)

. . .

2 - I didn't have a paying job for the previous 6 years in China since I was on a student visa (for a Master's, then a PHD). What kind of proof is useful for proving I made below taxable income, which I would have to file if I checked that box on the i-864?

Thanks everybody!

The question might come up as to how you were able to support yourself.

1) http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45028-confused-about-i-864-and-i-864a/

2) many simply file back years returns even for low or no income situations and attach copies of them to their I-864

*Announcers voice* Another save, by dnoblett!

If you were an NHL goalie you'd be an iron wall I'm sure.

Gosh, I was fine up until the point until I second guessed myself.

When looking over the checklist from the Consulate (link at bottom) and in the row "affidaits of support" on the left side, I encountered very annoying and vague language " (2) Form I-864a signed by the relevant member of household if the petitioner jointly filed taxes". That was just confusing, didn't seem applicable to me at all but I extrapalated it to my joint-sponsor who did file taxes jointly and then started hyper ventalating. (not really, but you get the idea) Yeah, I had no idea what "relevant" meant because there was no context provided.

webwxgetmsgimg.jpg

Thank you a lot. My search queries didn't take me to that particular page you posted. It was a godsend.

I'm saying "thank you" a bit too much lately.

. . .

Thanks everybody!

Right... In my case, I had a scholarship for all of those years. Covered tuition, books, living, and paid me monthly. Applied for it for both of those degrees. No way in H E dobule hockeysticks I would have considered doing either of them without that.

. . .

Thanks everybody!

Right... In my case, I had a scholarship for all of those years. Covered tuition, books, living, and paid me monthly. Applied for it for both of those degrees. No way in H E dobule hockeysticks I would have considered doing either of them without that.

I'm sure you're aware of IRS filing requirements, and that you DIDN'T need to file a return on that income.

I'll mention here, though, that what you report to the Consulate needs to be compatible with that. They MAY be interested in that income, separate from what you report on the I-864.

The only real snag might be if you were relying on the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion to zero out your tax bill, then you need to have filed a return to have claimed that.

• Like 1

This may not be of interest to what you are doing, but I'll mention here that you can use the W-2's to SEPARATE the income so that ONE person of a jointly filed return can be a sponsor, even if the other doesn't wish to file a I-864a. That is, they would only report the income from ONE sponsor.