general DCF questions along with your opinions

i have been reading over every thread in the past couple days about the K1 visa but while filling in all the information i'm so nervous i will forget a crucial piece of information which will cost us a ton of money/time.

a little backstory, i have lived in china for the past couple years (and dated her for years while being here) and we are finally ready to get married and go back home. She has just graduated school so has never had a job before, My contract for my job is done in 6 months and i was hoping to only make her wait a month or two after i leave for her to be able to come with me (the shorter the process the better, i would rather not leave her behind)

I read some people mentioning something getting married in china and filing for a CR-1 (but it takes longer? possibly?) which option is the best for a guy with little life savings and time?

also i had some questions about filling out the K1 form is thats the route i go

1. i read about the fee, the only issue is i do not own checks for my american bank account (and im sure they would not send them here) do chinese post offices offer money orders and is that the best way in my situation?

2. my girlfriend can speak and write in english, all the addresses for her are in english ( chinese street addresses in english also) except for one section where it says for her address in her native language, if this is the only section that has chinese will i still need a translator?

3. also just to make sure im not forgetting anything most of the stuff needed like medicals and criminal are all before the interview right? the only thing needed during the K1 filing part is the 2x2 photo and evidence of our relationship?

i know there was a thread recently asking about CR-1 vs K1 but every place i turn everyone is telling me different things

and are lawyers/ services like visa

sorry for so many questions, i feel i may only get one good shot at this before going back home so im trying to be 110% prepared before submitting it, but i know the longer i wait the less time i have for everything else

Edited by defender1900 (see edit history)

the consulate won't accept a check - pay in USD, RMB, or American credit cards only. See http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-visafeeinfo.asp

It's unclear why you are talking about a translator - use Chinese characters or Pinyin ONLY.

A K-1 would need to be filed stateside, and could take up to a year.

An I-130 can be filed as soon as you are married with the consulate, and may require as little as one to 3 months for a visa.

Your mailing address is where you receive mail - use Chinese characters if it is in China.

Thanks for answering randy, so my best option would be to get married soon and start the process for the I-130?

about the fee i was talking about the fee i had to send along with the I-129 form

i did not know about the DCF thing until now, so that would be the best and quickest option it seems?

Yes

We are at nearly 2 years since we married here in the U.S. and are still without a green card. Our Denver field office is now at 13 months wait time in dealing with the I-485's - that is, getting a green card after marrying on a K1. This office also does not seem to function as well as the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou and is bogged down with various immigrant groups and serving the visa needs of 3 major universities and a dozen smaller schools, multiple refugee groups, and hordes of H1B visas for the tech industries. We'll soon be considering filing a writ of mandamus ($$$) just to get our case unstuck from the backlogged piles on someone's desk.

it is a good plan for many in your situation to marry and you get back here first to get established financially - in a way that supports your future wife's visa application. Of course, young people don't want to separate! Unless you are about to unlock your trust fund, you will need to get the career thing going anyway. I could go on with these suggestions, but am just saying thinking this is about a two year process either way and her arriving here married pays dividends. I honestly feel the K1 has few or no advantages anymore. Though "quicker" initially, it's slow going soon after arrival and, with hiring freezes, understaffing and overwork, can become a major PITA and financial drain when done in the U.S.

2. my girlfriend can speak and write in english, all the addresses for her are in english ( chinese street addresses in english also) except for one section where it says for her address in her native language, if this is the only section that has chinese will i still need a translator?

You are confusing Pinyin with English, Pinyin is a phonetic method of representing spoken mandarin, for example, Beijing is NOT English for 北京, Beijing is Pinyin and is how the city name is pronounced in Mandarin, if you were to translate 北京 into English the translation would be "North Capital"...

Addresses should be in Pinyin not translated to English.

For example, the Guangzhou consulate address in Chinese is: 广州市天河区珠江新城华就路43号 邮编 510623

In Pinyin/English it's:

U.S. Consulate General

43 Hua Jiu Road, Zhujiang New Town

Tianhe District

Guangzhou, China

Sometimes it's best to provide both versions of address so that the post office knows exactly where to deliver mail, when submitting the petition at the USCIS office in Beijing or Guangzhou they will look it over and help you correct things like mailing address.

Ok so taking randy's advice we decided we will get married and try for the I-130 method as its the fastest

i called the beijing consulate today and asked about the Single Status Certificate but they gave me a nonfuctioning number to call and said they couldnt help me when i called back.

i checked on google and it mentions getting it from your local district consulate in america but i live in china, what should i do?

edit -- nevermind, found out the beijing embassy can do it by reading a post from a long time ago.. it just seems the woman i spoke to today was very unfriendly or did not understand what i needed

Edited by defender1900 (see edit history)

Ok so taking randy's advice we decided we will get married and try for the I-130 method as its the fastest

i called the beijing consulate today and asked about the Single Status Certificate but they gave me a nonfuctioning number to call and said they couldnt help me when i called back.

i checked on google and it mentions getting it from your local district consulate in america but i live in china, what should i do?

edit -- nevermind, found out the beijing embassy can do it by reading a post from a long time ago.. it just seems the woman i spoke to today was very unfriendly or did not understand what i needed

I previously posted a write-up of going to the Beijing Embassy to get my Single Certificate, but can't seem to find it in the search.

Search around on the site and you will find how to get it done.

Actually, just found the link: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47574-marriageability-affidavit-acquired-today/?hl=%2Baffidavit+%2Bsingle

• Like 1

Thanks for answering randy, so my best option would be to get married soon and start the process for the I-130?

about the fee i was talking about the fee i had to send along with the I-129 form

i did not know about the DCF thing until now, so that would be the best and quickest option it seems?

As far as making payments for ANYTHING stateside from outside the U.S., you pretty much need an American credit card. Chinese credit cards may work, but on a case-by-case basis.

IF you had decided to file the I-129F, the instructions say:

Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or money order for the Form I-129F filing fee:
1. The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must
be payable in U.S. currency; and
2. Make the check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
NOTE: Spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security; do not use the initials “USDHS” or “DHS.”
3. If you live outside the United States, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate for instructions on the
method of payment.

Of course, when filing your I-130 at either Beijing or China, they will accept CNY, USD, or American credit cards,

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)