After 7 years in China, Back in the US

Carl

Seven years ago, I was burned out at my job, so I decided we needed a change, so Ying and I decided to go move to China for an indeterminate amount of time. After doing tutoring in Yanji for about a year, I decided it was time to get a real job.

I was able to secure work from a company called Ameson Cultural Institute based in Nanjing China. This company, in partnership with various Chinese high schools (mine was Jiangsu Suzhou No. 10 High School), ran the American High School Program for Chinese kids who were planning on skipping the GaoKao and instead apply for college abroad in the US, Canada or Australia. Since most were planning on an American university, most took the SAT/ACT.

Five plus years ago, we were surprised to learn that Ying was pregnant. Nine months later we were blessed to have a little girl we named Lexi. Since Ying and I were US citizens, Lexi too acquired US citizenship at birth (although we needed to do paperwork 'renouncing' her 'Chinese citizenship.'

Since Lexi was close to school age, and Ying refused to put her into any schools in China, we decided to return to Texas and enroll Lexi there (Ying was happily surprised to learn that public schools in the US are free (taxpayer supported)).

Life has been good since we returned and hopefully soon, I will be returning to the VA back at my old job.

• Like 1