I have a couple questions about the green card process with many more to come in the future, I’m sure.
First, I’ll tell you a bit about our situation. My wife and I have been married for 4 and a half years. She is Chinese and has a 10 year – 180 day - B1/B2 US Visa. I am American, and we have a 10 month old American daughter who was born here in Shanghai. We’ve been living together in Shanghai for the last couple years but are getting ready to move to the US.
We were originally going to DCF but I’m a bit concerned with the I-864 as I’m currently unemployed here in China and because my occupation when I'm in the US is an IBEW union electrician. If you know anything about union trade work, you know that there isn’t really such a thing as a work contract that is signed in advance, or that lasts for a certain amount of time, or that shows a yearly salary. I need to actually be there and start working to show all of that, which is what I'd like to do if possible
I know a joint sponsor would be a solution but I’d rather not have to ask my dad to be one unless I absolutely have to. I also know that I could move back ahead of them and start working but splitting up our family is not an option.
Is there a way to start the green card process for my wife while we’re still here in China, then we all move to the US and I start working to build up some pay-stubs and proof of income before filing the I-864?
Or maybe even move to the States with my wife on her current B1/B2 visa and then start the whole process from there with an AOS after I’ve been working for a bit?
Isn’t the I-864 normally one of the last things submitted? If that’s the case, couldn’t I make it to where there’s enough time between the start of the process and the filing of the I-864 for me to work most of next year, file taxes for next year, and then have a tax return to submit showing decent income while we all live there together? I was thinking you had a certain window (like 2 years) that you could wait to finish the whole process once it was started? Could that help me out with this situation?
What are our options? Do we even have options?
Thanks for your help in advance,