Car question

danb

Hi.. I just got a new Toyota last month. I would like to get a remote car starter for it. It would be nice to get into a nice warm car late at night after work. There doesn't seem to be many place to get one. Best Buy does have them. I went down there to ask them some questions. They did not have much of a display. No prices or different features that they offer. I talked to a sales person. Got some information but I am not sure how good it was. They said that most Viper models were not that good except maybe a model DS4. They recommend buying a brand name call Compu Star. I looked on line and Best Buy they have models ( from Viper and Compu Star ) on sale for Black Friday. Can anyone make a recommendation of what kind of remote car starter to buy and what features to look for?. What kind do you guys have? Are you happy with it? Thanks Danb

PS Last night , I noticed on line that the Toyota dealer has one on sale. Don't know what kind it is or what kind of features it has. I requested some more info from them. They are suppose to get back to me..

Edited by danb (see edit history)

No, no personal experience.

My son used to sell and sometimes install them at a Best Buy when he was in college. They avoided some brands and models (of cars) due to the high probability of bricking the whole vehicle. CarToys would probably have more brands and models to choose from - and possibly better paid installers.

Since it's a new car under warranty, I would probably go the dealer/genuine Toyota parts route. I know it will cost more and probably be a year or two behind on features but, if you like a pre-warmed car, you would probably also like the secure feeling knowing it was done right.

My wife's impala has remote start standard, I would recommend dealer installed, they should install a compatible unit per factory specs.

One note, many won't install on a manual trans car, only automatic.

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for a reply from the Toyota dealer about the type of remote starter that they sell. I suspect it is aftermarket product. If it is same type that they install at factory, then that is the way to go. Not sure how well trained Toyota mechanics are trained to install an electronic devices. But they definitely should have good resources and reference materials. Best Buy, I bought an alarm system from them for my Toyota 15 years ago. I had no problems. Based on your guys' suggestions and what the guys at work also suggest I will probably get my remote starter from a Toyota dealer. To be on the safe side. Just I wished the price was a little better and the starter had the latest and greatest. Thanks again . Danb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Well I just got my remote car starter installed at the Toyota dealer last Friday. It cost me $300. It was made by audiovox. I have to use 2 remotes for my car. Thanks for you guys opinions. Some cold weather is coming down from Canada next week. Danb