Mobile app Bank questions

Hello. I have some questions about using my phone in China. I wonder how secure it would be. I have a smart phone when I visit China. I normally get a Chinese Sim and use that. But I do have AT&T and sometimes I will use that in China to check my messages. In general I don't have any apps on my phones that have to do with financial transactions ( in the USA or China). I don't normally do credit card transaction on the smart phone. I guess I am just too "old world" and don't "trust" those new things so much. But I was thinking about downloading an app to access my credit union account when I am in China. I would then used that to access ( via AT&T or wifi) my account back in the states. How secure do you think that is? Am I being parnoid or what? Thanks. Danb

The connection to your financial institution should use a secure protocol (https:).

If you're using a VPN to access the account, you'll be sending encrypted data over a secondary encryption.

Chase only allows browser access through a U.S. connection (use a VPN).

You can be as paranoid as you want, but Chinese banking is done the same way - except that I've got a USB dongle which must be connected to the computer.

Perhaps your bank will allow you to set up secondary authorization (e.g., email or cell message) to approve access from a new location.

I'm not paranoid at all about it, but you need to look for the secure connection (https:) to the actual bank web site BEFORE you enter your password.

I downloaded my credit union's app and it crashed left and right, consistent with the App Store reviews. So, how safe it is in China may not matter anyway.

As Randy said, you can't even connect to Chase "from China" - therefore, you must use a VPN. May be true for other institutions so a VPN would be a wise thing to pack on your next trip.

Finally, using your credit card in China is doing a financial transaction and a point for concern. Anecdotally, I've not had an issue with CC fraud resulting from any trip to China, though somebody here in Denver borrowed my card data once and got away wth it.

Hello, I just logged into my two accounts , of which one is Bank of America. They both say Secured in the...URL title box? The box at the top that gives the address. They both have a Padlock icon and then they both say secure. and then proceed to say Http://.... In China I normally have no problem accessing my B/A account. My credit Union account is a different story. It is a hit or miss. Sometimes my laptop works and sometime I have to use a tablet when using wifi at Lao Po's home ( both works sometimes). I do have Express VPN. That has worked for me for two or so years. As far as my smartphone, I think I will contact Express VPN and ask them if they have app for my smart phone. It is sometime vary disconcerting when I can't access my Credit Union account when I am in China. Thanks for your replies. Danb BTW, I don't recall having any problem access my Chase credit union account in China. Also I wonder if Express VPN is still a good choice to use in VPN. Thanks again

Hello, I just logged into my two accounts , of which one is Bank of America. They both say Secured in the...URL title box? The box at the top that gives the address. They both have a Padlock icon and then they both say secure. and then proceed to say Http://.... In China I normally have no problem accessing my B/A account. My credit Union account is a different story. It is a hit or miss. Sometimes my laptop works and sometime I have to use a tablet when using wifi at Lao Po's home ( both works sometimes). I do have Express VPN. That has worked for me for two or so years. As far as my smartphone, I think I will contact Express VPN and ask them if they have app for my smart phone. It is sometime vary disconcerting when I can't access my Credit Union account when I am in China. Thanks for your replies. Danb BTW, I don't recall having any problem access my Chase credit union account in China. Also I wonder if Express VPN is still a good choice to use in VPN. Thanks again

Yes, they do. You can download from ExpressVPN or from Google play, and use your same account (both can be active at the same time).

Good luck with your credit union - you may want to deal with them from the U.S.

Even the People's Daily plugs ExpressVPN

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesDaily/photos/a.191212920930533.63965.188625661189259/1600092710042540/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesDaily/photos/a.191212920930533.63965.188625661189259/1600092710042540/