DV Lottery 2018 Interview

Hi, I'm the main applicant of DV Lottery, foreigner living in China. My husband is chinese, around July or August we will have our interview in Guangzhou. Has anybody before had DV Lottery interview? If u have please pm me private message, got so many questions. Thanks!

Hi, I'm the main applicant of DV Lottery, foreigner living in China. My husband is chinese, around July or August we will have our interview in Guangzhou. Has anybody before had DV Lottery interview? If u have please pm me private message, got so many questions. Thanks!

Why not simply file an I-130 with either the Beijing or Guangzhou USCIS offices? The time frame for these is one to four months. The visa interview can easily be delayed if you're not planning on travelling within six months.

I don't think we've heard of anyone going through the DV Lottery, since you already HAVE an available "visa number", unless you are not an American citizen.

I'm not seeing an advantage to it - perhaps you can educate us. With it potentially becoming a political football over the next year, why would you choose that over the regular I-130/IR-1 process?

I see from your other topics that you ARE a foreigner, but you do not say what country you are from.

Native mainland Chinese are not eligible for the Diversity Lottery because of an already high level of immigration, so we may not be able to help you. In other words, it's unlikely that any of our members would have had experience with it.

Most of the people here talking about "foreigners" are American citizens with "foreign" spouses living in China.

I see from your other topics that you ARE a foreigner, but you do not say what country you are from.

Native mainland Chinese are not eligible for the Diversity Lottery because of an already high level of immigration, so we may not be able to help you. In other words, it's unlikely that any of our members would have had experience with it.

Most of the people here talking about "foreigners" are American citizens with "foreign" spouses living in China.

Thanks Randy, yes, I'm a foreigner. Native mainland Chinese can participate in the Diversity Lottery with their spouses whose countries are eligible. I don't believe for so many years nobody from Native Chinese got DV lottery interview with their spouses. I hope someone did. If other foreigners had this kind of interview as well, information about it would be appreciated, cause I saw some topics of not American foreigners.

Thanks Randy, yes, I'm a foreigner. Native mainland Chinese can participate in the Diversity Lottery with their spouses whose countries are eligible. I don't believe for so many years nobody from Native Chinese got DV lottery interview with their spouses. I hope someone did. If other foreigners had this kind of interview as well, information about it would be appreciated, cause I saw some topics of not American foreigners.

Chinese citizens are not eligible - see DV-2018 Program Instructions and I expect that goes a few years back.

For a list of countries/areas by region whose natives are eligible for DV-2019 and DV-2018, please refer to the DV Instructions.

For DV-2018, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply, because more than 50,000 natives of these countries immigrated to the United States in the previous five years:
Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam.

As far as how SPOUSES of DV Lottery applicants are handled, you will need to know more about that than I can help you with, but I see in the directions where it says,

Was your spouse born in a country whose natives are eligible? If yes, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth—provided that both you and your spouse are named on the selected entry, are found eligible and issued diversity visas, and enter the United States simultaneously.

I really doubt that ANYONE on this forum has gone through, or even knows someone who has gone through, the Diversity Lottery,

But your question stands, hoping someone will be able to help.

Best of luck to you both.

Hope someone will. Also I just checked visa statistics and there are 2 people every month who got DV visa, apparently foreigners. So I have a question about birth certificate, since my husband was born before 1996 he doesn't have any birth certificate. So as I was surfing in this forum I understood all he needs to do is go to 公证处 with his 户口 and they will give him "white papers". Am I correct?

Hope someone will. Also I just checked visa statistics and there are 2 people every month who got DV visa, apparently foreigners. So I have a question about birth certificate, since my husband was born before 1996 he doesn't have any birth certificate. So as I was surfing in this forum I understood all he needs to do is go to 公证处 with his 户口 and they will give him "white papers". Am I correct?

Yes - it is called a "notarial certificate of birth", or 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu. This IS the official Chinese document for use overseas.

They will need records showing who his parents are, if they are not listed in his hukou book.

Just to be clear, this will be an eligible person interviewing for a DV-Visa and a Chinese citizen will be getting a derivative visa based on the issued DV-Visa.

From FAM:

9 FAM 502.6-4 DIVERSITY VISA PROCESSING

a. Diversity Visa Chargeability, Numerical Control:

(c ) A principal registrant born in a non-qualifying country and the spouse who was born in a qualifying country may be issued DVs, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously.

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html

From FAM it sounds like they treat each person as a principle which means they probably will interview you both when the time comes.

I would believe questioning will be looking for marks of inadmissibility and misrepresentation.

INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION