Update for I-407/ I-130 - Leaving China June 2018

Hi Everyone, So to update my situation from a few months ago, we will travel to Guangzhou next Thursday to file the I-407 to abandon her green card for our Friday appt. at 830am (we fly in the night before). I was wondering on a few points if someone could help clarify... - Filing fee for I-407 is free, but the I-130 fee is $535 USD per the USCIS website. Can I pay that when we visit the consulate with my credit card or pay in RMB cash? - I made the appointment for the I-407 but the last post I did, it was recommended I also do the I-130 as well. Do I need to make a separate appointment for that? Or do I just tell the officer helping us with the I-407 that we also want to file the I-130? - Her delivery date is late January next year, so we will arrange her interview for the IR-1 after they are ok to travel. I have the needed information for our child to get his passport so that's not an issue for now. Thanks again in advance for everyones advice on these issues. I don't come here as often as I should but when I do there is always plenty of helpful people and information for me as well. Bill and Wen

Yes - you can pay with an American credit card.

Don't forget that you will also need an exit visa for the child. The application for this will usually include renouncing the child's Chinese citizenship - only the Chinese citizenship will be recognized until you do.

Be sure to submit copies of this paperwork when you apply for a Chinese visa for the child.

It shouldn't be a problem to submit BOTH the I-407 and I-130 at the same time, but you may want to make appointments for both and show both appointments at the window.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

To update my last post, we went to Guangzhou with no issues and dropped off our forms. They told me I didn't need to give my tax returns or our pics together because that evidence isn't needed until the interview so I didn't submit them. We got a letter today a few weeks later noting I missed some areas where I should've said yes , I said no. that's an easy enough fix but then the paper noted how they also wanted evidence of a bona fide marriage.

I was wondering if my last 3 tax returns / pics of us together the past few years is good enough since we have an apartment here but my name isn't on the agreement. I say agreement even though our landlord didn't officially renew our agreement so we mostly just hope she doesn't kick us out but that's China, lol. We don't have anything showing we hold an apartment or even own anything together even back in the states since I sold everything there years ago.

If the tax returns and pics aren't enough what else usually works? I could get affidavits from some friends of ours but don't we need a notary for that? Or can they just sign the form and the USCIS will just contact them at some point?

Also thanks again for the advice on this forum, its very helpful.

Bill

Hi All, To update my last post, we went to Guangzhou with no issues and dropped off our forms. They told me I didn't need to give my tax returns or our pics together because that evidence isn't needed until the interview so I didn't submit them. We got a letter today a few weeks later noting I missed some areas where I should've said yes , I said no. that's an easy enough fix but then the paper noted how they also wanted evidence of a bona fide marriage. I was wondering if my last 3 tax returns / pics of us together the past few years is good enough since we have an apartment here but my name isn't on the agreement. I say agreement even though our landlord didn't officially renew our agreement so we mostly just hope she doesn't kick us out but that's China, lol. We don't have anything showing we hold an apartment or even own anything together even back in the states since I sold everything there years ago. If the tax returns and pics aren't enough what else usually works? I could get affidavits from some friends of ours but don't we need a notary for that? Or can they just sign the form and the USCIS will just contact them at some point? Also thanks again for the advice on this forum, its very helpful. Bill

No, the relationship affidavits do not need to be notarized - you wouldn't want to haul them to the consulate to have them signed in front of the notary (Chinese 'notarial documents' are a different thing altogether).

You are married, and have a child together. What other evidence do you HAVE? You DID submit a copy of your marriage certificate? Even if you simply submit the same tax returns and pictures that they declined earlier, you should be okay. This is a VERY small hoop to jump through - don''t over-sweat this.

Hi All, To update my last post, we went to Guangzhou with no issues and dropped off our forms. They told me I didn't need to give my tax returns or our pics together because that evidence isn't needed until the interview so I didn't submit them. We got a letter today a few weeks later noting I missed some areas where I should've said yes , I said no. that's an easy enough fix but then the paper noted how they also wanted evidence of a bona fide marriage. I was wondering if my last 3 tax returns / pics of us together the past few years is good enough since we have an apartment here but my name isn't on the agreement. I say agreement even though our landlord didn't officially renew our agreement so we mostly just hope she doesn't kick us out but that's China, lol. We don't have anything showing we hold an apartment or even own anything together even back in the states since I sold everything there years ago. If the tax returns and pics aren't enough what else usually works? I could get affidavits from some friends of ours but don't we need a notary for that? Or can they just sign the form and the USCIS will just contact them at some point? Also thanks again for the advice on this forum, its very helpful. Bill

No, the relationship affidavits do not need to be notarized - you wouldn't want to haul them to the consulate to have them signed in front of the notary (Chinese 'notarial documents' are a different thing altogether).

You are married, and have a child together. What other evidence do you HAVE? You DID submit a copy of your marriage certificate? Even if you simply submit the same tax returns and pictures that they declined earlier, you should be okay. This is a VERY small hoop to jump through - don''t over-sweat this.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply, we don't have a child yet at this time. My wife will deliver around late January 2018, we already submitted our marriage license from before. I will just submit the tax returns from the past 3 years and our pics together. As you said that should be enough including what we already submitted. Thank you again for your help!

Bill