Visas for relatives in 2004

I have been wondering how many people have applied for tourist/visitor's visas for relatives to visit this year (or late last year).

How many have been accepted?

How many have been denied?

A few details and comments would be nice.

(1 parent, 2 parents, siblings, age range, etc).

Oh, how long did it take to get the visa from time of application?

Thanks,

Clifford

Guest Long_strider

Applied for tourist visa for 2 elderly (ages 66 and 74) parents in GZ. We completed most of the paperwork in USA for them in December 03, then mailed to them. They finished and signed the necessary paperwork, paid fee, already had passports.

Called for interview in late January 04. Interview scheduled Feb 3. Brough all the completed paperwork with them to the inteview. VO reviewed paperwork during the brief interview about 5 minutes. They asked two questions. Received the visa the same day. They are scheduled to fly in on April 14.

long_strider

P.S. Remember...every situation is different. Different Consulates (e.g. Shanghai are more difficult, Number of children living in US, etc.

long_strider,

Wow, that's impressive. My understanding was that it is very difficult to secure a tourist visa to the U.S. for parents and relatives under any circumstance.

If you don't mind me asking, which US consulate/embassy did you go through?

Thanks,

P.J.

Guest Long_strider

Her parents applied in Guangzhou. They live in this city.

I think that the deciding factor was that there are two sons and one daughter as well as three grandchildren that live in Guangzhou. I believe that the Consulate's biggest concern in granting a visa is that the people will not return to China but attempt to stay in the US. Because most of their children (except Yuqing) reside in China and particicularly since they are sons, the visa was granted.

At least that is my impresssion.

I have a Chinese friend whose parents live in Shanghai. Her only brother lives in San Jose. No other children reside in China. Her elderly parents were denied a visa 8 times. The father eventual came to the US on a medical treatment visa on the ninth attempt, but the mother has been unable to obtain a visa.

long_strider