Some reminders for interview and some questions after the interview

First of all, thanks for all the help this form. Since I got my passport back I'd like to share some reminders first for the interview. The interview went pretty well, but we encountered some problems that caused 3 weeks delay. First problem is, for join sponsor tax problem. My wife's dad filed a joint tax for his family, even if her mom doesn't work she still need to fill I-834A form. I didn't prepare that one before the interview and the officer asked me to mail the stuff they need to them. Then comes with the second problem, I mailed through CITIC bank I thought this time I don't need to attach a cover letter so I wrote all my info on the envelope, then my package got bounced back after a week. I knew during the last step you have to attach a pre interview cover letter for mailing the documents cuz there is instructions in the mail but this time they didn't tell me. I felt weird wrote my info on the envelope when I mailed the stuff. However I didn't double check on their website. There is another cover letter that used for mailing additional documents after the interview. That's the two problems that people might have as well for their interview as well.

Ok now I have several questions about my situation that I would like people who know this situation can help me out. Basically for immigration under 26 they need to register for the military thing. I'm 25 now and will be 26 at Dec this year. My wife and I are going for a really long vocation at Europe and Costa Rico. The problem is I will transit in US when fly to Costa Rico from Spain 4 or 5 days before my 26 birthday. I know for US even if you transit you still need to process the immigration stuff. Does that mean I should hand off all my immigration stuff to the officer at that time? Or I should do after my Costa Rico trip back to US officially? Do I need to register for the military thing if I transit 4 days before my 26? How does that 26 count? The time you you got your immigration visa? The time you get your green card? The time you transit in US? The time you 'official' enter US? I've heard if you forgot to register or you trying to avoid register will have some problems when you do naturalization. But at the same time my wife is kinda scared of this military thing. She doesn't want me to involve any kind war. How does this thing exactly work? Also should I pay the green card fee right now or when I get to US? There is another Social Security Card problem that I need to take care later. Seems like there is a lot of stuff need to be take care of after the interview

Thank you all

Jeff

You may pay the green card fee at any time - it is best to do so before processing at the POE. The green card will not be issued until you have both been processed at the POE AND paid the green card fee, That is, delaying payment of the fee will delay the processing of your card.

You don't provide enough information for us to know if you will be processed for entry to the U.S. when you transit to the flight for Costa Rica. But you WILL know. If you simply board another flight without leaving the International area, you may not be processed.

But I would recommend that, in ANY case, you TRY to register with Selective Service - see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER. They may decline your application because you will be over 26 at the time you mail it, but it will keep you covered in case of any questions that may arise.

You must register with Selective Service within 30 days of your arrival - which puts it after your 26th birthday.

The officer may request for the applicant to submit a status information letter and registration acknowledgement card before concluding that he failed to register.
The status information letter will indicate whether a requirement to register existed. The applicant must show by a preponderance of the evidence that his failure to register was not a knowing or willful act.

Simply TRY to register - don't worry about getting drafted,

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html

Applicants may register for Selective Service at their local post office, return a Selective Service registration card received by mail, or online at the Selective Service System website. Confirmation of registration may be obtained by calling (847) 688-6888 or online at www.sss.gov. The officer may also accept other persuasive evidence presented by an applicant as proof of registration.

• Like 1

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration/RegistrationFormForeign(Asks for SSN which may take a couple weeks to get after ariving in the states)

SSN is not necessary - see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration

If you have a social security number and you are not able to register online, or if you do not have a social security number, or if you are an immigrant male (documented or undocumented) age 18 through 25, please complete the fillable registration form here.

You may complete this fillable registration form, print, sign, and mail to:

Selective Service System

P.O. Box 94739

Palatine, IL 60094-4739

You may pay the green card fee at any time - it is best to do so before processing at the POE. The green card will not be issued until you have both been processed at the POE AND paid the green card fee, That is, delaying payment of the fee will delay the processing of your card.

You don't provide enough information for us to know if you will be processed for entry to the U.S. when you transit to the flight for Costa Rica. But you WILL know. If you simply board another flight without leaving the International area, you may not be processed.

But I would recommend that, in ANY case, you TRY to register with Selective Service - see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER. They may decline your application because you will be over 26 at the time you mail it, but it will keep you covered in case of any questions that may arise.

You must register with Selective Service within 30 days of your arrival - which puts it after your 26th birthday.

The officer may request for the applicant to submit a status information letter and registration acknowledgement card before concluding that he failed to register.
The status information letter will indicate whether a requirement to register existed. The applicant must show by a preponderance of the evidence that his failure to register was not a knowing or willful act.

Simply TRY to register - don't worry about getting drafted,

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html

Applicants may register for Selective Service at their local post office, return a Selective Service registration card received by mail, or online at the Selective Service System website. Confirmation of registration may be obtained by calling (847) 688-6888 or online at www.sss.gov. The officer may also accept other persuasive evidence presented by an applicant as proof of registration.

Thank you so much Randy. Does that mean I should register online now? I don't need to mail anything later when I get to US? I'll pay the fee for the green card asap as well. Anyway, seems like it's much easier to just register but my wife is very paranoid about this draft thing

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration/RegistrationFormForeign(Asks for SSN which may take a couple weeks to get after ariving in the states)

I am not sure if I requested the Social Security Number during the DS-260 form. There is a instruction says that if you didn't you should take care of it by yourself. How long does it usually take? Only after that I can create a bank account and start to work right?

You need to register for SSS within 30 days after your processing by the POE. Retain the verification, in case any questions come up, Not even 18 year olds have been drafted for a LONG time.

Once the Social Security Administration has your information in their computer, you can apply at their office (for your Social Security card) - give them about 10 days or so.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yes, I suspect it won't be a problem or questioned if you file that now or within 30 days after arrival even if just beyond the age.

Selective Service may come into play if removing conditions on a 2 year green-card and/or when applying for citizenship.

This is from Wikipedia -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_lottery_(1969)

The last draft was in 1972

Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government of the United States in four conflicts: the American Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Cold War (including both the Korean and Vietnam Wars). The third incarnation of the draft came into being in 1940 through the Selective Training and Service Act. It was the country's first peacetime draft.[1] From 1940 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the United States Armed Forces that could not be filled through voluntary means. The draft was ended when the United States Armed Forces moved to an all-volunteer military force. However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; all male civilians between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed.[2]

. . .
"authority to induct expired on June 30, 1973"

Thank you guys!!! Really appreciate it. I do have another irrelevant question. Can I ask it here or should I make another post. I looked the Costa Rica visa policies. It says if you have U.S. tourist visa or green card if you can enter Costa Rico without visa. I used to have tourist visa but now I only have the immigration visa. I saw some post says that this visa equals green card before you receive it. Like you can go to Canada just with this visa. There is a sentence in the visa as well, something like I-what(don't remember the number) form for one year temporarily(I'm having my passport for the Schengen visa so won't have time to make another Costa Rico visa before my flight and I already booked all the flights) But I saw something more specifically today, like they request you have the actual green card with you for entering the country. Anyone has similar experience? Can Chinese passport with a immigration visa but haven't entered U.S. or get the green card yet enter Costa Rico visa free? Any information would be greatly appreciated. The visa thing for travel literally drove me crazy for the past week

Thank you guys!!! Really appreciate it. I do have another irrelevant question. Can I ask it here or should I make another post. I looked the Costa Rica visa policies. It says if you have U.S. tourist visa or green card if you can enter Costa Rico without visa. I used to have tourist visa but now I only have the immigration visa. I saw some post says that this visa equals green card before you receive it. Like you can go to Canada just with this visa. There is a sentence in the visa as well, something like I-what(don't remember the number) form for one year temporarily(I'm having my passport for the Schengen visa so won't have time to make another Costa Rico visa before my flight and I already booked all the flights) But I saw something more specifically today, like they request you have the actual green card with you for entering the country. Anyone has similar experience? Can Chinese passport with a immigration visa but haven't entered U.S. or get the green card yet enter Costa Rico visa free? Any information would be greatly appreciated. The visa thing for travel literally drove me crazy for the past week

This is what immigrant visa looks like:

gallery_3366_4_113214.jpg

Note, the line near the bottom saying "Upon Endorsement" this means upon entry to the USA the POE officer endorses the visa at which point it shall serve as a temp green card (I-551) for one year. This notation is not valid before arriving in the states only after, endorsement is the key factor.

Also not all countries POE officers are aware, understand, or recognize that the I-551 notation with endorsement = green-card, they may require an actual green-card or visit visa.

This is what immigrant visa looks like:

gallery_3366_4_113214.jpg

Note, the line near the bottom saying "Upon Endorsement" this means upon entry to the USA the POE officer endorses the visa at which point it shall serve as a temp green card (I-551) for one year. This notation is not valid before arriving in the states only after, endorsement is the key factor.

Also not all countries POE officers are aware, understand, or recognize that the I-551 notation with endorsement = green-card, they may require an actual green-card or visit visa.

Got it. I might can get a endorsement when I transit at Florida. I can just hand off all my immigrant documents there and get a endorsement. Maybe I can ask the officer there then decide whether to catch the later flight to Costa Rico or not. If they say I'll be okay or can get some paper documents to prove that or show to the officers in Costa Rico, that would be the best. The worst case is I have to fly back to US if I can't enter Costa Rico. Which means I can't book anything more before actually enter the country. This visa thing is driving me crazy. Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate your help and patience.

Edited by jeffzhang8716 (see edit history)

Just confirmed with the Costa Rico embassy in Beijing. Case like me can not enter Costa Rico visa free. If you are on permanent residency status, you need the physical green card and must be valid at least 6 months. Seems like I'll lost my non refundable ticket. Should double check the details before book it. If you have US tourist visa you can enter visa free, but mine is not valid any more. If you have multiple Schengen visa, which I just applied you can enter visa free. But they just eliminated the Schengen visa policy in the early of this year. Really bad luck. Anyway, thanks for all the info!! Need to get ready and prepared for the next chapter of my life

Edited by jeffzhang8716 (see edit history)
  • Like 1