America's Southern Chinese

I'll have to wait to watch this tomorrow, but it looks like it's interesting

on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/wonderwomb2/videos/1429762003805931/ <- This was apparently deleted

The Untold Story Of America's Southern Chinese!

There's a rather unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years. They played an important role in the segregated South in the middle of the 20th century. Join us as we get a taste of Southern Chinese food and learn about the unique history of the Delta Chinese.

but on youtube -

and NPR

The Legacy Of The Mississippi Delta Chinese

grid_custom-88c6747cf541f1f7d9fe105f2562

Edited by Randy W
too late - Facebook post deleted (see edit history)

I'll have to wait to watch this tomorrow, but it looks like it's interesting

on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/wonderwomb2/videos/1429762003805931/

The Untold Story Of America's Southern Chinese!

There's a rather unknown community of Chinese-Americans who've lived in the Mississippi Delta for more than a hundred years. They played an important role in the segregated South in the middle of the 20th century. Join us as we get a taste of Southern Chinese food and learn about the unique history of the Delta Chinese.

This is really interesting to hear Chinese ladies talking with HEAVY Southern accents - and the role they played in the segregated south - e.g., 2 grocery stores by the same name across the street from each other - one for blacks, one for whites.

• Like 2

I was working in a gas field in Louisiana some years ago and needed a charger for my laptop. I either drove over to Shreveport or Jackson MS for the nearest Best Buy. Really surprised when a 100% Chinese woman waited on me and extra surprised when she opened her mouth and out came pure local dialect.

Back then, I assumed she was adopted. Now I know better.

Well done video and I'd like to find the rest in the series.

3 parts - the channel is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV3Nm3T-XAgVhKH9jT0ViRg

or here - Chinese Food: An All-American Cuisine | AJ+

Looks like all 3 were posted within the last 10 days

Resources:

“The Mississippi Chinese: Between Black and White” by James W. Loewen
“Southern Fried Rice: Life in a Chinese Laundry in the Deep South” by John Jung
“Chopsticks in the Land of Cotton: Lives of Mississippi Delta Chinese Grocers” by John Jung
“Water Tossing Boulders: How a Family of Chinese Immigrants Led the First Fight to Desegregate Schools in the Jim Crow South” by Adrienne Berard

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 1 year later...

. . . and in Jamaica - from Radii

The surprising story of the connection between Chinese immigrants to Jamaica and the formation of reggae hasn't been done proper justice - until now

Krish-comic-cui-jian-zhang-chu.jpg

The comic, by Beijing-based comic book artist and illustrator (and RADII contributor) Krish Raghav, begins its timeline with the earliest Chinese migrants to Jamaica in the 1850s, winds around to the key role of Chinese-Jamaican producers and distributors like Vincent and Patricia Chin in exporting the fledgling genre in the 1970s, eventually working its way full circle to the early adoption of reggae by incipient Beijing rocker Cui Jian, and ending with the full-blown reggae scene that thrives in present-day Yunnan province in southwestern China.
The comic is full of deeply researched and lovingly illustrated ephemera that are sure to please music and comic nerds alike.