Jump to content


i-130 (former employment include study?)

i-130 employment student

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Muscley_Love


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

On the i-130 where you list all previous employment, does being a student count?  My first reaction was no, but I saw this suggestion given on immihelp  or nola or one of those other help sites...  In hindsight, I know that whenever filing taxes, I"ve often used "student" in the employment category too.  It's a pretty common thing.


So when looking back to my past five years here, should I include my time that I was enrolled in a local university degree program?  i.e.,  employer, XYZ University,   position: Student




#2 dnoblett


    Here to help

  • Admin
  • 19,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

I would list student if it fills a gap between one job and another.

#3 Muscley_Love


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

I just wanted to list what I did as a follow up in case anybody else encounters this question.  My biggest gripe with these sites are that people never come back to post "what worked" for them after they attempted the process.


So, considering my question about whether I should list my Master's and PHD programs here as employment (similar to how we do in the States when doing taxes, or filling out other forms) I listed both of those in china as part of my employment history leading up to my current job in China. 


So if you have any similar questions, you can be sure that doing as I have done should not be problematic in any way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: i-130, employment student

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users