Nickname for the beneficiary?

Received a heart dropping email this afternoon! We listed my husband's nickname on the application. I remember reading a comment somewhere on this site that mentioned NOT including any nicknames, but in my family and friends affidavits of relationship, they all referred to my husband by his nickname (since his birth name is hard to pronounce).
At the interview, the officer did mention it, and asked my husband why, he told them the truth. It's how most people refer to him.

The email said that a visa cannot be issued until they receive "certification regarding your use of the alias XXXX".

I'm freaking out, we have no official paperwork to show his given and nickname are the same people. What can we do?? Will I have to start all over??

I did a quick google search and found something called a One and the Same Person Affidavit. It's to be written by the beneficiary swearing on oath, explaining exactly why they have this name. Will this be enough?

I feel so stupid for ignoring the advice I read here! But anything to help is appreciated!!

Sounds like you have the right idea, may need to have it notarized which the consulates provide for a fee.

But yes, unless the nickname is used in an official capacity on documents you don't list it. Many Chinese adopt an English nickname, but it's not considered "other names used" and not noted on the forms.

Under Part 4 Information about beneficiary, there is a field on the I-130 where you would simply list "all other names the beneficiary has ever used, including aliases, maiden name, and nicknames". It's too late for that, of course, but yes, the One and the Same Person Affidavit you mention should jump through this little hoop for you.

Do you thing we need to have it notarized at the embassy? My husband would need to do it but he's not a US citizen, of course, is that option even available to him? I'd like to get this document mailed to consulate as soon as possible.

He can make an appointment for notary services under American Citizen Services - yes, it is available even to Chinese citizens.

My guess (strictly a guess) is that notarization WON'T be necessary (but you never know how strict they're going to be) - but use your best judgment as to whether it's feasible.

Two of these forms I've looked at so far DON'T call for notarization.

• 4 weeks later...

An update for anyone who may read this in the future: My husband, the beneficiary, wrote a One and the Same Person Affidavit (just Googled a template). I, the petitioner, and my father, the joint sponsor, wrote one as well. We did NOT notarize them, just typed on the computer, printed, and signed. My father sent us a scanned image of his. I'm not sure if the extra 2 were necessary, but we figured better too much than not enough. This was accepted by the embassy and our visa was successfully processed.

• Like 2