September Visa Bulletin adds 7 months 3 weeks to F1 visa line

July and August processing dates for F1 visas were current through December 22, 2010.

September 2017 visa bulletin dropped that back 7 months and 3 weeks to May 1, 2010.

As usual, China and India moved in lockstep (in this case backwards and not forward)

We had just heard from NVC and received a tracking number to start work on processing for my wife's unmarried adult daughter (April 2011 priority date). October is the beginning of the new Federal processing year so I wonder if the line for processing will revert forward to December 2010 or beyond or whether this is a permanent slow down (addition) to the length of the line. This may also have an impact for those in line if the new proposed points based immigration system is passed by Congress in the interim as one of the proposed provisions cuts visa availability in half.

My stepdaughter speaks English very well, has a good job in China with an American headquartered NYSE Fortune 500 company, has her advanced degree and can be self supporting so she would do well under a points system. However she will be 33 next month and has delayed marriage thus far in order to come over on an F1. Adding another 2 years to the 11 year wait might cause her to reconsider and stay in China. The US stock market is at all time highs but I work at a University and very few (less than 10%) of our graduates find jobs even with advanced degrees. Since the 2008 stock market crash all the old people (myself included) are working past retirement age and no one is retiring early.

I was talking with some friends -My father retired at 62 as did my best friends father at 62 and another friends father retired at 60. In contrast, the 3 of us plan to work to 68, 70 and 68. That certainly takes new jobs away from young graduates. 2 of the 3 of us are also planning to leave the USA to retire somewhere more affordable as we all expect that our taxes will sky rocket in the future since social security is going under fast.

True Blue

• 1 month later...

October Visa bulletin (new Fed Govt fiscal year) and we moved back up the 7 months, 3 weeks that we lost in September.

Bottom line: for those of us waiting to bring relatives over we only lost 2 months (e.g. No movement in the lines from August to October) but we regained the additional 7 months and 3 weeks that we fell behind in the September Visa bulletin.

I know the past 2 months have been discouraging for many in China waiting to come to the USA.

To all relatives in China keep the faith! Hopefully, next month the line will start to move forward again.

True Blue

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...

The December Visa bulletin is now out and it is back down to the line moving only 2 weeks over a span of a month. :(

At this rate, it will be double the months before we get a visa for my stepdaughter to immigrate (legally). Then, if she hits any hard times her mother and I are on the hook to support her for the next 10 years.

Alternatively, she could go to the Mexican border and waltz right in illegally tomorrow, get a California drivers license and be added to the welfare rolls by Friday afternoon. She could then get that free instate California college tuition and then move out of that tax hell state whenever she gets a job that pays any real money before she is taxed to death. More importantly, then I could be irresponsible while the rest of you folks pick up the tab for her with your tax dollars, I could spend all my money on whiskey and beer.....

Decisions, decisions.....Life gives us hard choices sometimes.......

• Like 2

Never ceases to amaze me how easily our government (local through federal) will turn a blind eye to a situation all the while supplementing, empowering, and handing out that which they did not earn (our tax dollars) to begin with, they (government) simply withhold it (our tax dollars) before it even reaches our hands.

But Lord have Mercey if someone (anyone) should individually directly impact them (a decision making official) by cutting in line at a store checkout, or perhaps dart in and take a parking spot when they were waiting with a turn signal on. They would instantly call out that you weren't being fair and should have waited your turn. How about somebody trying to bend the rules at election time, I can hear the crying from here!!!

It is always easier to spend someone's else money (ours) or impact another (your stepdaughter) with your actions when nobody has the guts (the voters) to hold them (the elected officials) accountable for the feel good decisions that they (government) enact.

I feel for you TB and you can take it to the bank that I always make my vote count.

• Like 1