Our Interview Results and questions moving forward

My wife had her interview this morning in GUZ, we had everything prepared very well. My wife is a CCP member but they didn't seem to care at all. They were mostly looking at my income, and asking if we could get a cosponsor. I have a job offer in the US for well above the requirements they need above poverty level. But it's just that, only a job offer, and I have not formally accepted it yet pending salary and benefit negotiation. They didn't think this is enough.

My situation is as follows, originally I was going to have my father sponsor me, he is retired and is receiving his pension, social security, and my late mothers pension as well. He has a very sizable savings,would they generally be able to accept a retired person as a cosponsor? He is single and has no dependents.

My wife got a green slip and no blue slip, they basically insinuated to my wife that as soon as she had cosponsorship that she would be able to get her visa. Attached is the green slip

https://ibb.co/bJHOkQ

Edited by Nathan&Min (see edit history)

Yes, a retiree can be used as a joint sponsor as long as income level is sufficient to support himself and the sponsored immigrant.

I doubt we have stopped paying attention to CCP membership. I feel it will still come into consideration at some point. And, if it doesn't, then you've saved some time (months).

Re the sponsorship or lack of: my thought is you can try and in the meantime do accept that position and do go to the US ahead of her if they don't accept his co-sponsorship. Okay, not ideal, but it will be behind you soon enough. I would think his triple dip on the pension will be more than enough and acceptable by USCIS and your going it alone is a workable backup plan.

Note: I am not an immigration attorney.

My wife had her interview this morning in GUZ, we had everything prepared very well. My wife is a CCP member but they didn't seem to care at all. They were mostly looking at my income, and asking if we could get a cosponsor. I have a job offer in the US for well above the requirements they need above poverty level. But it's just that, only a job offer, and I have not formally accepted it yet pending salary and benefit negotiation. They didn't think this is enough.

My situation is as follows, originally I was going to have my father sponsor me, he is retired and is receiving his pension, social security, and my late mothers pension as well. He has a very sizable savings,would they generally be able to accept a retired person as a cosponsor? He is single and has no dependents.

My wife got a green slip and no blue slip, they basically insinuated to my wife that as soon as she had cosponsorship that she would be able to get her visa. Attached is the green slip

https://ibb.co/bJHOkQ

The hoops they have us jump through are laughable (if they weren't so deadly serious), and dependent on which Visa Officer adjudicates your case, and possibly what he had for breakfast that morning.

A job offer is definitely proof of income (and career) potential. and that she won't become a public charge while in the U.S. That is the bar for entry, as set by the INA. Unfortunately, it's left to the discretion of the VO as to whether you've reached that bar. The I-864 is simply evidence toward that end.

Remember that your presentation CAN make a difference - too many people view the I-864 as the be-all and end-all as far as being "enough" for the visa to be awarded.That is, job opportunities and career potential CAN get you over that hump.

Just go ahead and jump. That's all they want to see.

Submit your father's I-864, and see what happens. Income is income, whether earned or retirement. It sounds like both you and your father both have enough

Just returned from USCIS where my wife was grilled for 30 minutes about CCP membership. The reason for our AOS denial was over some error of theirs in sending us an RFE re CCP membership because the original interviewing officer FORGOT to ask us those questions (their description of events) back in Oct 2016.

After an appeal, lost time, checks written, we are back 19 months after our application for a green card to answer questions re CCP membership, questions we had to answer after the Guangzhou interview. If you would like the questions we were given in GZ, I can send them to you, I think, and you can submit the answers if you want.

• Like 1

Without knowing EXACTLY what they're looking at, it's impossible for us to assess whether they are being reasonable, or just recalcitrant.

Suffice to say - when they say "Jump!" - JUMP to the height specified.

Here's a member whose visa was held up pending additional information about the job offer (my apologies if I've already posted this for you) - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46328-affidavit-of-support-need-a-co-sponsor/?p=606820

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What is the purpose of the i864a form? My sister was a dependent of my fathers last year, my mother recently passed away, so my dad is currently the only person flying solo tax and income wise. Do I need to have my sister fill out the i864a?

The I-864a would allow your father to INCLUDE your sister's income on HIS I-864 - not necessary if he is considering only his income.

Yes, the I-864A is a contract between a sponsor or joint sponsor and a member of their household.

For example my wife petitioned and sponsored her mother's immigrant visa a year ago, in my wife's case she works only a part time job and her income alone would be insufficient to sponsor her mother, so in our case my Wife provided an I-864 because she is the petitioner, and I provided an I-864A to add my income to my wife's income in order to sponsor her mother.

• 2 weeks later...

After submitting my dads paperwork, including a heap of tax documents, W-2's and other proof of income, we have received notice to send her passport in. It really seems that the CCP issue has been overcome already?

yes - if they are asking for the passport, it means they want to put a visa in it.

We have turned in the passport to the Consulate at GUZ, we are ecstatic with how quickly our process has gone, especially with CCP on our backs. I wanted to finish up this post with our timeline, along with a last question going forward:

Our timeline:

May 9, 2017 - DCF Petition in GUZ

May 12, 2017 - Received a letter in the mail requesting additional documents

June 8, 2017 - Received email to fill in DS260 and additional documents

July 03, 2017- Received email to schedule visa interview

July 26, 2017- Held interview in GUZ, needed to submit paperwork for co-sponsor

Aug 2, 2017 - Submitted all tax forms and other documents for co-sponsor

Aug 14, 2017- Received email to turn in passport to consulate along with 2 passport photos

Aug 15, 2017- Turned in passport to Citic bank in Wuhan

Aug ??? 2017 - Passport in hand??? still waiting

Final question is, we filed for the conditional green card 2 years, but our 2 year anniversary is July 22, 2017. We are well past that, and by the time we are going to enter the US, it will be mid-september, what documents do we present in order to receive an unconditional green card at POE? Please advise.

We are forever grateful for this forum, and the help we have received through this long and crazy process, with the 2 year home residency over our heads the past 2 years, and with CCP membership being an issue as well, we thought it would have taken a lot longer to get this process done. Thank you again.

Final question is, we filed for the conditional green card 2 years, but our 2 year anniversary is July 22, 2017. We are well past that, and by the time we are going to enter the US, it will be mid-september, what documents do we present in order to receive an unconditional green card at POE?

Conditional status has to do with when residency status is granted, not when the petition was filed, residency status is granted upon entry to the USA, and in your case you will have been married longer than 2 years when the visa is issued so the notation on the visa probably will be IR-1 but if not and it shows CR-1, upon arrival at the POE you could point out the 2 years of marriage as evidenced by the marriage cert and they should code the green card as a 10 year.

A friend of mine entered the states the day after 2 years of marriage and got the 10 year card.

• 2 weeks later...

We have visa in hand, checked CGI federal website this morning, it changed from processing delivery to visa ready for pick up this morning. We picked it up at our local citic bank, our original plan was to leave right away, but our home is in Houston so we are going to wait a couple weeks to leave in order to let things get back to normal. Thanks everyone again. It is an IR1 by the way.

Edited by Nathan&Min (see edit history)