Dali and Tiger Leaping Gorge

I see I don't have many pictures from this leg of our trip up yet (back in 2012) - I'll have to work on that.

This is in China Pictorial - not a very good write-up, and only 1 good picture, but you may be interested. We watched these guys from the OTHER side of the river. We didn't have so far to walk, but it was all steps - five hundred of them (yes, I counted). About 20 too many for me ( I felt it for months afterward - I had hit a wall only 20 steps from the top, and decided I could make it anyway, to my regret).

Dali and Tiger Leaping Gorge: The Amazing Trip Continues
1.jpg

We left Yuanyang and headed for Dali and Tiger Leaping Gorge. I had traveled on an overnight train in China before. However, while I found it uncomfortable and tiring those first times, the more time I spend on the slow train, the more I enjoy the whole experience.
I could define the experience of going through the canyon as exhausting, tough or difficult, but that would be unfair. Hiking the Tiger Leaping Gorge exceeds all expectations.
Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This is where the gorge begins - and the trail leads to for the people on the other side

gallery_1846_776_797451.jpg

a little further along is where the 'tiger leaps'

gallery_1846_776_670904.jpg

I think it's down there by the last platform

gallery_1846_776_1676452.jpg

The rock that usually produces the 'leaping tiger' made a brief appearance, but on this day was usually inundated with all the waterflow

gallery_1846_776_1440091.jpg

• Like 1

For us, the bus went on to Xianggelila, since we had originated at Lijiang. The trip to Dali was a separate trip.

This is a valley where our bus had to stop to refill its brake water (they spray the brakes with water so the driver can brake for every curve or incline)

gallery_1846_776_221437.jpg

gallery_1846_776_380466.jpg

Being the largest Tibetan Buddhist monastery in Yunnan, Songzanlin Monastery, also known as Guihua Monastery, is one of the famous monasteries in the Kang region. It is located near Shangri -La County, at the foot of Foping Mountain.
Construction of the monastery began in 1679 and was completed two years later. The monastery seems like a group of ancient castles and is composed of two lamaseries, Zhacang and Jikang

gallery_1846_776_701994.jpg

gallery_1846_776_697970.jpg

gallery_1846_776_1110455.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Tiger Leaping Gorge, Hiking the Extraordinary (Yunnan: The China You Never Knew, episode 10)

Tiger Leaping Gorge: Hiking the Extraordinary

14367.jpg

Published on Jul 18, 2019

Spectacular. Wild. Breathtaking. These are some of the typical superlatives associated with a trip to Yunnan's Tiger Leaping Gorge.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ganlu Temple,  it is said that there are 101 steps from the foot to its top, which means even though you achieve a hundred, you still have to pay another effort in order to do better.
📍Taining County, Sanming, Fujian province

from China Highlights on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/ChinaHighlights/posts/pfbid0RxKTVAGc4ETXcFDK7AVpf8Fh1dH7QCAVWhNXP669uZkx85DY9wby1bYaYWf14b41l

Ganlu Temple.jpg