Wife's sister needs to come over ASAP

Hi,

Hope all is well with everyone! My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a few days ago. Meet with the surgeon in a few days to see what plan they have. Problem. I'm still working and we need to get her sister (Chinese national) over here ASAP to help with post op care. Does a letter from the surgeon/hospital showing the reason for the visa is not just to tour around the country, cause them to expedite the visa process? Trying to figure out how long it might be/take before she can be over here. I totally understand the process and how it can take varying amounts of time, but with it being important that she's here ASAP to help her sister? Any experience? All help would be appreciated!!

THANKS!!

Rosie and Marc

Very sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosi, wishing you the very best outcome.

A letter from the surgeon stating date of surgery, diagnosis, possibly expected length of recovery. Although sometimes the length of time can backfire if they are too optimistic with things.

A letter from your company proving you can't take off, all vacation time used up, no FLMA available, would back up your claim of not being available.

A letter from you stating that her sister is the only/best source of care for her, as the sister is 2nd best choice next to you, for family to care for your wife.

Perhaps a letter from your wife stating how afraid she is and needs her sister here to be with her.

Absolute proof of compelling reasons her sister will return to China as soon as your wife is better. Coinciding with the doctors expected recovery date your wife can take care of herself.

Be clear and direct to the point in your letters. The docs medical secretary is usually very good with writing letters and will be just fine.

Sister can book appointment as soon as you get letters to her, possibly before, if your delivery service is fast/overnight. Not sure if faxed is any better than original, as they could hold up waiting for originals. Can approve same day as interview if all is good and passes. Then as long as takes to print visa and receive.

I'm sure the Mods here can hook you up with some more current links or letter examples. They should be here shortly.

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

Hi,

Hope all is well with everyone! My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a few days ago. Meet with the surgeon in a few days to see what plan they have. Problem. I'm still working and we need to get her sister (Chinese national) over here ASAP to help with post op care. Does a letter from the surgeon/hospital showing the reason for the visa is not just to tour around the country, cause them to expedite the visa process? Trying to figure out how long it might be/take before she can be over here. I totally understand the process and how it can take varying amounts of time, but with it being important that she's here ASAP to help her sister? Any experience? All help would be appreciated!!

THANKS!!

Rosie and Marc

There are those (especially on VJ) who will tell you that it's reason for them to DENY the visa (if it's interpreted as to work as a nurse's aide). Maybe Dan can elaborate on that discussion, or if anyone has actually experienced trouble because of that possible interpretation.

In any event, I doubt that expediting the visa is possible - like Mike says, just go ahead and apply.

I would probably indicate the reason for visit would be more for comfort in a trying time and less about being an "nurse" helping around home. But in any case emphasize family being together to get through a trying time.

• Like 1