Rosetta Stone on sale today

Hello. Notice that that Amazon is selling a Language pack from Rosetta Stone. Only today. $139.

Comes with a Fire Tablet. Level 1-5. Here is a link to the offer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RYX3GR/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_dlp1debf_cdl_6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=Q2H5S30S0M5NQ2HX2FC5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=0&pf_rd_i=283155:

Here is link of what part level 1 entails. At least I think it is level 1:

http://resources.rosettastone.com/assets/ce/1312988079/assets/pdfs/course_contents/rs/en-US/level_1/CHI.pdf

Actually they show level 1-5. Seem to be a fair amount of material.

I know that there have been reviews on different language learning packages on Candle before. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this particular offering. The description is not the best, There are no customer review. Not sure exactly what is in the box. I posted a question asking for clarification. Hope I get a reply. Depending on what is included and how the material is presented it might be a useful product. What do you guys think? Danb

Some questions that I came up with.

Is the program self contained?

Do I need to be on the internet to use it?

Is there a dictionary?

Are the lessons in a video format or more of a reader/flashcard format?

What features should I being looking for.

A kindle as a language training "buddy", is it effective?

The price, seem to be not too bad if a good system. Is there a catch such as a monthly/yearly fee?

Update. I just rehecked the amazon site. It is offered in the software section.

Edited by danb (see edit history)

There's a couple of good topics covering learning programs such as Rosetta and Pimsleur - check here http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Mandarin/

If I remember correctly, Rosetta asks questions that you answer. It'll force you to answer correctly so you can move along. If you're paying attention, you KNOW the right answer and can move along more quickly - until you overload.

Most people panned it, but some like it.

. . .

Some questions that I came up with.

Is the program self contained?

Do I need to be on the internet to use it?

Is there a dictionary?

Are the lessons in a video format or more of a reader/flashcard format?

What features should I being looking for.

A kindle as a language training "buddy", is it effective?

The price, seem to be not too bad if a good system. Is there a catch such as a monthly/yearly fee?

Update. I just rehecked the amazon site. It is offered in the software section.

Yes - you BUY the software. The Fire is an Android device - it is NOT a Kindle, although I expect it comes with a Kindle app (I have one on my PC and on my Android phone, so I don't need a Kindle).

From a customer review - "This appears to only be a 3-month subscription, not the actual language product to keep. The product heading should state SUBSCRIPTION."

I see now that it says "

• Access to award winning mobile app for 3-months - available on Kindle Fire HD, iOS, and Android" in the product description.

You might be better off buying the PC CD's, unless they're just flat going to a subscription model. I don't think I would go for that. Subscriptions are worthless to my way of thinking.

From a customer review - "This appears to only be a 3-month subscription, not the actual language product to keep. The product heading should state SUBSCRIPTION."

I see now that it says "

• Access to award winning mobile app for 3-months - available on Kindle Fire HD, iOS, and Android" in the product description.

It's strange that they're not clear on that - I think the product IS purchased for unlimited use on a PC or MAC via a CD or download. Or you may purchase an online renewable subscription for use on multiple devices, including Android devices such as the Fire.

Be sure of which version you're purchasing.

Just a note: Rosetta Stone is used by DOS and CIA for quick learning of languages. It uses the immersion method. Basically, it puts you in situations where by pictures or language, you form a learned event. Pimsleur is just plain teaching: chin ke means I treat, etc.

I have both methods, Pimsleur first. I went to Rosetta and bought the CD's for several languages. You get much more out of Rosetta for less time, depending on your language learning place. Bear in mind, after about 25 years old, language learning goes downhill to a point at about 60 where learning a new language is a real struggle, unless you have a particular talent for languages or are highly motivated. I got certified in ESL and that's one of the things you learn in the process.

We had a discussion here years ago about talking clearly vs. baby talk. Most everyone said to speak good English to someone learning the language. I had one person tell me she had two kids and she spoke English very clearly and did not let them baby talk. Well, that is true for a first language and a baby whose young mind is much more receptive to new language. An older learner who is learning a second language has a tougher time, and baby talk is about all you will get. By that time, you are beating a dead horse forcing them to speak absolutely correct.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct Eric. When I was a young pup in the Air Force I had a friend that was Spanish and he taught me a lot of Spanish, which I have forgotten a great deal of now that I don't use it any longer. At 51 yo when I married my wife learning a new language was a struggle especially since I had lost about 50 % of my hearing by that time. Making learning the 4 tones much more difficult.

Hi Guys. I decided to buy the package. The price was affordable for me. Not exactly sure what the package would included but I thought that I wanted something that included audio, and video/visual components, that was compact and was portable. When I got home from work yesterday two packages were waiting for me. In the packages was a Kindle, a bright yellow head set, 5 CD's and the boxes that they all came in. On one of the packages I read about the ability to download software and something about 5 users and they gave me an activation key. I powered up the Kindle. When I plugged it in it wanted to connect to the internet. I stopped there. I have to find the darn paper I wrote the wifi password on. It got like 15 letters and numbers to it. Also I have to see if I can find the instructions on how to setup everything up. I never enjoyed doing that and don't have much experience doing such things. I hope this works for me. I am glad that it is fairly portable, I can/use it in car, at work and at home. Now I have to use it. and use it. and use. And not just leave it somewhere gathering up dust. Traditionally I am a classroom guy. I like having a schedule, a teacher and a classroom. At this time that is not available to me. Will have to see how this works out for me. Once i get everything to work i will try to post again and give you my impressions. Ok? Thanks for your imput. Danb

• Like 1