I'm the USC, I'm a woman. A couple years ago, right aftery husband and I were married, I changed my last name to his while I was visiting home. I thought it would be another good step to proving our marriage was the real deal. This has led to nothing but trouble. Since then I have had to renew my passport, which shows my new last name. I renewed my passport in the Shanghai US embassy, and also got a notarized letter from the embassy stating my old passport and new passport are the same person.

My Chinese marriage certificate has my maiden name. Today upon trying to get the notarized copy (white book) of my marriage certificate, the officer wouldn't accept this notarized letter from the US embassy, even though I've used it to renew my visa multiple times.

We were told to contact the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Beijing. They told me I need to return to America and go to the Chinese embassy there to get a paper that can be notarized by the Chinese government.

My husband's marriage certificate can be notarized without a problem.

Do I absolutely need my marriage certificate to be notarized as well?

I'm the USC, I'm a woman. A couple years ago, right aftery husband and I were married, I changed my last name to his while I was visiting home. I thought it would be another good step to proving our marriage was the real deal. This has led to nothing but trouble. Since then I have had to renew my passport, which shows my new last name. I renewed my passport in the Shanghai US embassy, and also got a notarized letter from the embassy stating my old passport and new passport are the same person.

My Chinese marriage certificate has my maiden name. Today upon trying to get the notarized copy (white book) of my marriage certificate, the officer wouldn't accept this notarized letter from the US embassy, even though I've used it to renew my visa multiple times.

We were told to contact the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Beijing. They told me I need to return to America and go to the Chinese embassy there to get a paper that can be notarized by the Chinese government.

My husband's marriage certificate can be notarized without a problem.

Do I absolutely need my marriage certificate to be notarized as well?

You only need ONE white book of your marriage certificate - they are the same. What you need is known as a notarial certificate or white book. I would expect that they would certify your copy as well using the old name, but if they are refusing to do this, simply go with his.

If you want to use a notarized statement about your name change, you may need to get that done in the U.S. A notarized document would be sent to the Secretary of State for the state in which the notarization was made, and then this certification would be in turn certified by the Chinese consulate covering that district. I DON'T THINK THIS WILL BE NECESSARY FOR THE VISA APPLICATION, but it may come in handy when checking into hotels, etc. - anytime that you need to prove that you are married and show your passport.

You might check back with the consulate in Shanghai and see if they can't help you with something specifically for use in China.

If not - To authenticate your name change certification for use in China

Notarization/Authentication Guidelines

Authentication

In accordance with international practice and consular practice in China, the purpose of consular authentication is to ensure that notarial deeds issued in one country can be acknowledged by relevant authorities in another country, and the deeds can have its due legal effect, which shall not be affected by doubts on the authenticity of the seal or signature on the deeds.

The Chinese Embassy in the United States can authenticate notarial deeds and other documents issued by relevant authorities of the United States for use in China. The deeds or documents should be certified by the Authentication Office of the U.S. Department of State first.

Note that this MAY NOT BE NECESSARY, if a Chinese-language translation of the document is accepted.