Wife retired now needs yearly check in.

Dan777

Turtles like lettuce and of course they will eat apples. They can go for a long time without eating but some wild caught turtles will not eat and starve to death. Try the pet shop and get a captive hatched turtle. They feed them dried insects. Be careful some wild turtles do carry tuberculosis. Wash your hands after handling them and don't have them around your mouth.

Snapping turtles will eat meat especially ducks. I have one in my pond and tried to have some Mallard ducks and ducklings and they would be swimming along and all of a sudden one at the time would disappear until they were all gone.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

My wife thought it could swim and put it in some water and it drowned. I tried to tell her but it is like talking to a brick wall.

This was a box turtle and it is against the law to mess with it.

Sounds like your wife needs a lesson in American culture. If she is anything like my wife then she will have to learn the hard way or not learn at all.

Where in China is she from?

I can understand her liking turtles as they can be pretty unique. I had one for 5 years when I was a kid before it died. Lettuce, carrots and broccoli were the things it liked to be fed. I used to let it run the yard for a while each day so it would also forage for its self. Ate dandelions so less weeding for me. :gleam: Also would put out a dish with water in it and it would drink from it. At times it would crawl into the bowl seemingly to cool off. Water was shallow so it would not get completely submerged.

Here in Las Vegas I had a neighbor that had a desert tortoise that they kept inside. It was as large as a plate and slept under their bed. It would actually crawl over to the door leading outside and knock on it with it's shell to signal it wanted to go out.

On the retirement front, my wife went back over to pick something up yesterday. At that time they informed her that if she brought in proof of having one child she could get more money. Don';t know what that is all about as it is hard to talk long distance to her. I did have to laugh that after all the time she spent there they only told her about it at the last.

My wife thought it could swim and put it in some water and it drowned. I tried to tell her but it is like talking to a brick wall.

Sounds like your wife needs a lesson in American culture. If she is anything like my wife then she will have to learn the hard way or not learn at all.

Zhangjiang is how I think you spell it. Very hot, she saw snow for the first time in Tennessee.

Thanks for the replies on what to feed the turtle. I was hoping someone would reply. Tried apples, worm, meat, vegetables, banana and I am not sure what else. She tells me not to worry about it. She thinks the turtle eats grass. She puts it in the backyard and brings it in at night. She has only had it for about 3 or more weeks.

I kept a painted turtle when I was a kid for a couple of years. Cooked chicken meat and as a special treat the chicken heart cooked too. It would only eat its food when it could take it and shred it with its front claws pushing away while it held on, only while underwater, would never eat out of the water. At all other times it liked to sunbathe on a flat rock completely out of the water. If the turtle can't dry off its shell in the sun, it gets parasites and shell rot. So it has to have both dry and wet environments at the same time. Also if the shell starts to peel, that's ok because it is supposed to shed the sections to grow, same as a snake sheds its skin. Just don't pick at them, let it fall off on its own. At winter time it would bury itself in the gravel at water level and go into hibernation, so if it does this don't dig it up or put that part underwater.

Also, don't wear a green turtle hat. You can hunt around for the Chinese meaning on that one.

Good luck.

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

Zhangjiang is how I think you spell it. Very hot, she saw snow for the first time in Tennessee.

Yes Guangdong is very hot.