Sending 110V appliances to China?

HI,

My wife wants to take a blender to China when she goes there the next time. The ones she looks at are over $100. What I fear is that the solution for converting a 110V device to use China's 220V would be greater than the cost savings over simply buying the device in China. She claims that lots of people buy such appliances in the States and take them to China. So far as I can tell, most appliances do not get sold in the United States with the option to simply flick a switch to make them 220V compatible.

So my question is this: Can America-marketed 110V appliances be easily used in China?

Thank you,

Kevin Nelson

Depending on appliance will need a step down transformer, a blender will need one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MPR3WW/ref=asc_df_B004MPR3WW4943626/100w should be enough for a blender.

Many electronic appliances like cellphones laptops, tablets, chargers auto switch voltage.

Depending on appliance will need a step down transformer, a blender will need one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MPR3WW/ref=asc_df_B004MPR3WW4943626/100w should be enough for a blender.

Many electronic appliances like cellphones laptops, tablets, chargers auto switch voltage.

Look at the wattage ratings on typical blenders - WAY above 100 watts. "10 Speeds, 700 Power Watts and 450 Blending Watts". Then DOUBLE that for a start-up surge. The circuitry of transformers interacts with the device plugged into it - the results can be unpredictable or unstable.

But, yes, you definitely need a step-down transformer - two conductor Chinese circuits are 220V and ground.

Blenders are readily available in China. A big problem with 110V appliances is that SOMEONE will always try plugging it into the wrong socket.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is my own setup just for making coffee - a grinder and coffee-maker, both with 3-prong plugs that are ALWAYS plugged into the U.S. socket (I unplug the converter when not in use).

We paid about $12USD 6 years ago for that (Chinese) converter.

The only problem we've had was when a cable installer plugged my U.S. WiFi router into a Chinese outlet (I was ready for an upgrade anyway).

gallery_1846_744_487757.jpg

• Like 1

Since we're talking electricity here . . .

The frequency, 50 hz rather than the U.S.' 60 hz, as far as I can tell, doesn't make much difference to ANYTHING, although your 60 hz blender (for the U.S. market) may operate a little slower on 50 hz converted Chinese current.

A frequency converter is not practical except for industrial applications.

Thank you all for your feedback. I decided on going directly towards buying an OSTER BRLY07-Z00 600 Watt FUSION Blender Food Processor 220V blender from eBay, so we would not have to worry about the problems of a power converter. The downside of that decision is that the instructions will be in Spanish... But hey, it is made in the USA!