"Just kill me, just kill me"

Randy W

Nice, Larry. I agree about a lot. I could take United or some other airlines sometimes. Getting to Chicago from here -- it's United or nothing unless you want to wait in a terminal for a while. But I have had good flights from them.

Talk about American and I will go completely the other way. Maybe they can recover but on the way down they were really bad.

I am hearing from everyone at work that they will never fly United again and the company is considering taking them off the required airline list. I am quite the opposite about such things. I believe in mistakes, although this one was costly for both parties. A concussion is serious.

Once they realized it was stupid, they will become a better airline, I believe. If they don't they deserve their fate.

But I still think de-regulation needs to be reviewed again. They are all consolidating and merging anyway and I am sure there is some behind the scenes price fixing going on. They charge for luggage now and other amenities like a candy bar for God's sake. I don't mind being charged for extra luggage, like the old days.

All that makes the stewardesses bitchy or bastards and contributes to an unpleasant flight.

I want TWA and PAA back again. Where is Howard Hughes when you need him?

• Like 1

I've flown United more than any other airlines and yet mistakes are made and I am sure that I will fly with them again. Braniff use to be good in the late '60. Seats were like a Lazy Boy recliner but much thicker.

Now, United is saying that United employees have to be on the plane one hour before departure if they want to fly.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/15/news/companies/united-airlines-crew-member-boarding/index.html

Delta is saying, yesterday, that they will pay up to $10,000 for a passenger that is bumped. I think that they are trying to take advantage of a good opportunity to kick United while they are down.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/14/news/companies/delta-10000-overbooked-flight/index.html

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting add:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=southwest+new+ad&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbs5rS26jTAhVHRCYKHS3iAYwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=950&dpr=1#imgrc=-xlE7V1McH2TxM:

It seems to me that this incident was so poorly handle on many different level. United's well paid CEO (I read about 6.8 millions dollars a year.) Where does his interests lie? Is he interested in the customer or is he more interested in keeping his job and defending United's interests. The statements that he has made, sounds like he is talking about both sides of his mouth. He is the leader of that airlines. Ultimately, isn't he responsible for how the company behaves and is ran? At some point their system broke down. They engaged airport security. They past the buck. The incident got really out of control when the third man from from airport security person got involved. i wonder how well trained these airport security people are trained. Was this 69 year old Chinese/ Asian seniority citizen that much of a threat that it warranted him receiving a beat down, a concussions and the loss of two of his teeth and other wounds? Perhaps the security personnel thought he was a kung fu master and was hiding ancient Chinese secret weapons in his Kung Pao chicken. Who know?

Mr Dao is not completely blameless. He was told that he had to give up his seat and take a later flight. He was going be separated his wife. Who had the cell phones, the money, the direction of how to get home, the car keys, the house keys, the parking garage bill, etc? I wonder how many members on this forum would have been prepared for a forced separation from their loved in Beijing on their first trip to the states. Was such a situation even anticipated? Will it be for be for your next flight to and from China? I have flown United before. Didn't have much trouble with them. Perhaps some lost baggage. I think all passenger should have more rights and more expectations and be more aware what the airline can do for to use. Danb

On a lighter note. I heard about this new SouthWest commercial shown above. Turned out it was false add. Still funny!! I tried posting the image but it didn't work for me. Not sure what i was doing wrong.

Interesting add:

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=southwest+new+ad&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbs5rS26jTAhVHRCYKHS3iAYwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=950&dpr=1#imgrc=-xlE7V1McH2TxM: <- this link is to Google Japan

It seems to me that this incident was so poorly handle on many different level. United's well paid CEO (I read about 6.8 millions dollars a year.) Where does his interests lie? Is he interested in the customer or is he more interested in keeping his job and defending United's interests. The statements that he has made, sounds like he is talking about both sides of his mouth. He is the leader of that airlines. Ultimately, isn't he responsible for how the company behaves and is ran? At some point their system broke down. They engaged airport security. They past the buck. The incident got really out of control when the third man from from airport security person got involved. i wonder how well trained these airport security people are trained. Was this 69 year old Chinese/ Asian seniority citizen that much of a threat that it warranted him receiving a beat down, a concussions and the loss of two of his teeth and other wounds? Perhaps the security personnel thought he was a kung fu master and was hiding ancient Chinese secret weapons in his Kung Pao chicken. Who know?

Mr Dao is not completely blameless. He was told that he had to give up his seat and take a later flight. He was going be separated his wife. Who had the cell phones, the money, the direction of how to get home, the car keys, the house keys, the parking garage bill, etc? I wonder how many members on this forum would have been prepared for a forced separation from their loved in Beijing on their first trip to the states. Was such a situation even anticipated? Will it be for be for your next flight to and from China? I have flown United before. Didn't have much trouble with them. Perhaps some lost baggage. I think all passenger should have more rights and more expectations and be more aware what the airline can do for to use. Danb

On a lighter note. I heard about this new SouthWest commercial shown above. Turned out it was false add. Still funny!! I tried posting the image but it didn't work for me. Not sure what i was doing wrong.

You apparently have your VPN set to Japan

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amazonaws.com/politifact/photos/041317southwestbeat.JPG

http://www.politifact.com/texas/article/2017/apr/14/southwest-airlines-does-not-have-slogan-about-beat/

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I've flown United more than any other airlines and yet mistakes are made and I am sure that I will fly with them again. Braniff use to be good in the late '60. Seats were like a Lazy Boy recliner but much thicker.

Now, United is saying that United employees have to be on the plane one hour before departure if they want to fly.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/15/news/companies/united-airlines-crew-member-boarding/index.html

Delta is saying, yesterday, that they will pay up to $10,000 for a passenger that is bumped. I think that they are trying to take advantage of a good opportunity to kick United while they are down.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/14/news/companies/delta-10000-overbooked-flight/index.html

Shucks, we're flyin' Delta out of Baltimore tomorrow on the way to Vegas. $10,000 if bumped? Sheeeit, we both could only HOPE they bump us BOTH!! Hell fire, we'll just go buy another 5 or 6 unit apartment building...we don't need to go to Vegas to see hootchey kootchey, I'll tells ya. We got it rat cheer. :rotfl:

Let's see....they are flyin' us out of Balmer on the way to their hub in Hotlanter, then over to that thar Las Vegas place.

That is two chances we may have to get bumped :redblob: :greenblob: by Delta!!!!! And, we have two more chances when they reverse the procedure to return...4 chances of gettin' bumped. HOT DAMN!!! :yay: COME ON BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks, I do hope one or two of you kind people will join our prayer circle tonight at 7pm. Light some incense and candles and pray with us that we get bumped, please. We want some more of these high yielding apartment buildings in Everett and Bedford, Pennsyltucky. And, it jes ain't a trip to Australia and NZed unless you stay 3 months. :eyebrow:

Okay Wenyan our bump check list please....

1.) Cheap plane tickets bought by the cheapest Chinese woman alive in America? CHECK, we have them. Regular $250 each, Delta agent gave us $74 each, and, two round trip tickets...... after much ear bending by Chinese haggling expert....or maybe that was Chinese abuse. At any rate, NO ONE bought a ticket cheaper. :victory:

2. Plane starts loading at 3:30, we will arrive at the gate 3 minutes before it closes the loading process. CHECK...our rehearsals went well. :victory:

3. Large obnoxious tourist hat that says..."You don't have to beat me to bump me, baby" CHECK....bought it from the Farmers Supply store yesterday. :victory:

I actually had that happen to me. I was working trying to get my late wife's medical bills paid off. I told my boss that my new fiancee was coming into Raleigh/Durham airport at midnight and I had to get off about 3 hours early that night to go and pick her up. He said "OK no problem". I told him that 30 days in advance and mentioned it to him several times again. Then on the night that I was suppose to go and pick her up he says that I am short one man tonight and that I can not get off. I stayed until 9 PM just like our original agreement then I entered the whole story into the log book and left and never returned stating that I kept my part of our agreement and I resigned. An old friend at the plant told me that he had torn the page out of the log book and told Human Relations that I never even showed up and he did not know what had happened to me.

This is one of the reasons that the wife and I started our own business. Glad we did. We made much more money than we would have ever made with both of us working for someone else for wages.

• 2 weeks later...

United gives in 100% to rational thought - maybe it IS cheaper to pay people as much as $10,000 rather than to drag them off forcibly. Or, better yet, maybe even don't ASK them to leave once they're on the plane

United Airlines Reaches Settlement With Passenger Who Was Dragged Off Plane

Earlier on Thursday, United announced several steps to prevent such episodes from recurring and said that passengers who had arrived on an aircraft shouldn’t have to give up their seats. The airline said it would create a new check-in process that would allow passengers to volunteer to give up their seats for compensation, and increased the limit of that compensation to $10,000 from $1,350.
United had previously announced that it would no longer ask law enforcement officers to remove passengers from its planes over booking issues, and that crew members would not replace boarded passengers.

It is my opinion that once a passenger is on the plane and a crew member come in late and says hay I need to get on the flight. I say sorry about that you got a problem. If no one is willing to deplane for compensation. Perhaps we can get you there some other way even on another airlines if necessary. It certainly would have been a hell of a lot less expensive for the airlines and much less negative publicity. This incident has brought to the nations attention that this thing needs some overhauling with 46,000 passengers having been bumped last year.

Yes, for me, the "win" is that United was caught strong-arming ordinary, powerless people in order to get 4 of their staff in seats: the passengers were all boarded and the flight was not oversold. The fine print no longer applied. They had no legal authority to take seats away from 4 passengers at that point.

Notice that another paradigm shift has occurred thanks to the ubiquitous cell phone camera.

What United and other airlines should do is keep a few small private planes located in key locations that they can use in rare situations like this to move a crew from airport to airport.

Would have been a matter of flying them from Chicago to Louisville in a small plane.

As for the outcome of the suit.

• United probably did this to avoid any more public relations fallout.
  • The passenger's lawyers probably suspected would lose in court so took a settlement.

What United and other airlines should do is keep a few small private planes located in key locations that they can use in rare situations like this to move a crew from airport to airport.

Would have been a matter of flying them from Chicago to Louisville in a small plane.

• The passenger's lawyers probably suspected would lose in court so took a settlement.

It's hard to believe that ANYONE would think that it's okay or legally permissible to rough over a recalcitrant passenger so severely.

It's hard to believe that ANYONE would think that it's okay or legally permissible to rough over a recalcitrant passenger so severely.

The point is airport security did the rughing up, not the airline.
  • Like 1

The point is airport security did the rughing up, not the airline.

If that were the case, his suit would still be active against the City of Chicago - "In addition, United has taken full responsibility for what happened on Flight 3411, without attempting to blame others, including the City of Chicago. " My guess is the cell phone coverage had a lot to do with that. Airport security acted on behalf of United.

The suit over the massacre was where the meat of the issue was.

United Airlines footed the bill - discovering how much more expensive it is to mop up after something like this than to have a sensible policy in place in the first place

• Like 1

I do not think that his lawyers thought that at all.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/04/13/judge-napolitano-dragged-united-passengers-lawyer-leaves-airline-defenseless.html

• Randy W changed the title to "Just kill me, just kill me"