Current filing of I-751 turn-around time, et al

Hi,

1) I'm wondering what the current turn-around time is for when sending in the I-751. I hope to get it sent this coming Monday. Any ideas?

2) Are materials sent to the USCIS for this process, photos, etc., returned?

3) What is the best way to ship the materials to them? My guess is that I will have over a pound.

4) I'm confused over the passport pictures that must be sent. How many should I send of myself? How many should I send of my wife?

Thank you

Edited by KevinNelson (see edit history)

1) Removal of conditions can take upward of a year. A lawful permanent residents status remains LPR, I-751 filing will result in a letter indicating greencard status for the year after card shows expired, and if it takes longer than a year, schedule an infopass appointment and get an I-551 stamp in passport.

2) No, send only photo copies of things you cannot afford to let them keep.

From the instructions:

Copies. You may submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions speci cally state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of ling or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request. If you submit original documents when not required, the documents may remain a part of the record, and USCIS will not automatically return them to you.

3) USPS Priority mail flat rate envelope or box, with receipt notification.

4) Does the I-751 instructions ask for passport photos? It only request from an immigrant if living overseas on a military assignment where a biometric is unavailable. So no passport photoes needed.

From instructions:

Exception

Those who reside overseas pursuant to military or government orders, including conditional resident dependents residing overseas and listed under Part 5. Information About Your Children of the petition, must submit the following items with Form I-751:

1. Two passport-style photos for each petitioner and dependent, regardless of age. The passport photos must be color photographs. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy nish, and be unmounted and unretouched.

Passport-style photos must be 2 x 2. The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off- white background. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing headwear as required by a religious denomination of which you are a member. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any) on the back of the photo;

AND

2. Two completed ngerprint cards (Form FD-258) for each petitioner and dependent 14 to 79 years of age. You must write your A-Number on the ngerprint card and ensure that the completed cards are not bent, folded, or creased. The ngerprint cards must be prepared by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate, USCIS Of ce, or U.S. military installation.

In order for USCIS to identify lings based on military or government orders, petitioners are required to indicate on top of Form I-751, ACTIVE MILITARY or GOVERNMENT ORDERS and submit a copy of their current military or government orders.

File this not more than 90 days prior to conditional card expire, I have seen posts where USCIS returns package if filed too early such as at 3 months. 3 months is MORE than 90 days, unless February is one of the months. We filled it about a week before expire.

California, mail it to:

USCIS California Service Center

P.O. Box 10751

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075

2 to 4 weeks for notice of action letter, about the same for the biometrics letter.

According to USCIS CSC is processing I-751 filed last May.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

When I first started this thread three months ago, it took 9 months for getting an I-751 processed to get the permanent residence green card. Today I read:

"I-751

Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence

Removal of lawful permanent resident conditions (spouses of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents

June 15, 2016"

It has not changed one month! Am I reading things right? Has everything ground to a halt? (I noticed the California Service Center has not updated its info since May 31, 2017.)

Edited by KevinNelson (see edit history)

When I first started this thread three months ago, it took 9 months for getting an I-751 processed to get the permanent residence green card. Today I read:

"I-751

Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence

Removal of lawful permanent resident conditions (spouses of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents

June 15, 2016"

It has not changed one month! Am I reading things right? Has everything ground to a halt? (I noticed the California Service Center has not updated its info since May 31, 2017.)

As I have said before, I-751 can take up to a year or even longer to process, in this case the USCIS status site is indicating this backlog.

If it gets close to the expiration of the extension letter, you can schedule an infopass appointment and request an I-551 stamp in passport to further extend evidence of lawful permanent residence status.

Also, if US Citizenship is a goal, you don't need I-751 complete and a 10 year card in hand in order to file the N-400, you can file for citizenship within 90 days of three years of residency (Around 1 year after you filed the I-751) this tends to get them to look at the I-751 or they simply put the N-400 on hold until they process the I-751.

• 9 months later...

did she get her new green card yet? i noticed on the uscis it says 11 months processing but not sure if its 11 months from the green card expire date or when you received the letter

I don't know about Kevin Nelson, has not been on the site since last fall.

However my Niece-In-Law filed her I-751 last year January and only recently a week ago or so she finally got her 10 year card, probably her filing an N-400 for citizenship jumpstarted the I-751.

Note, because the I-751 can take a long time to process has no effect on status, a green-card holder remains an LPR indefinately until a desision is made on the I-751. If the process goes more than a year, you can always do an infopass appointment get status and request an I-551 stamp in passport to further show residency status.

• 3 months later...

Permanent green card still not obtained... still waiting for the processing of the I-751.

We got an InfoPass appointment for the last day her I-797 extension notice was valid. They put into her new Chinese passport a ONE-year extension! Ironically, today, we got that 18-month I-797 extension letter, which of course only extended things for six months from the original I-797C Notice of Action. So we still have another 10 months or so.

On another side of things, our I-751 file was transferred from the California processing center to the Vermont processing center. Interestingly enough, today is the case report date for our filing date at the Vermont center. We have no idea what to expect at this point.