Racism: Still in the USA, surprised??

danb

OMG The SPLC is as political as it comes. Might need to put a lid on this one.

cuzin chawls, you hit the nail on the head. Candle has always been a class act. We never had political posts, or links to radical political rantings like this Allon person did, knowing full damn well it was wrong. Look at his lame attempt to say "hopefully it is about racism". How Allon's link has not been deleted by now is beyond me?

Fellas, Carl, Dan, Randy, Mick....please guys...wassup? You all know that if someone posted some blatant slanderous political garbage about any of the former presidents that the dumbassed post and or link would be deleted in short order. Has something changed? Is this a new Candle with new rules? Is the sitting president fair game to post blatant slanderous remarks about, like Allon did with his link to some SPLC senior fellow with a widely exaggerated and defamatory political rant against the president to include EVERYONE who voted for him. :whistling:

Surely this Allon fellow is not representative of Candle For Love?

I'm kinda surprised at seeing something so out of place on Candle but I'm only asking guys. Does this old rule no longer apply?

From the Rules

Greetings and Welcome

Thank you for visiting A Candle for Love. The various forums in this site were created to provide a positive and supportive environment for people who have a loved one from China. Realizing that the process for obtaining a visa for that loved one is often a long, arduous, and stressful process, A Candle for Love was created to provide a venue for sharing information regarding the immigration process from start to finish as well as establishing a forum offering mutual support.

Responsible Posting

In order to create and maintain a supportive, informative environment the following guidelines have been established:

• Flaming, name-calling, slandering, or otherwise bashing elected or appointed government officials and government organizations/agencies is not acceptable under any circumstance.
Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

I'm sure racism can be discussed on this forum.

I mean: nobody here is defending it, right?

Greg, in case you actually did miss the point and aren't jes playin' a cute coy game on us'in dumb hillbilly folk :D , Chawls ain't talking about the racism discussion itself (of course there's nothing wrong with that), he's talking about Allon's turning it political by posting some cockeyed link to the SPLC's senior fellow's rant and slanderous remarks against the sitting president. Did you read the trash on Allon's link? Candle didn't used to allow this sort of posting. Once upon a time another board gave political posting and bashing a try...I think it was the last man standing who turned out the lights and shut the door. We don't need that hateful crap on Candle...slandering EITHER SIDE is bullshit . Or at least it should be. :)

Hello and Wow. I started this post mostly to give an example that there is racism in America. Still. Today. And I wanted and did say that ..." Our wives and children shouldn't be subjected to such stupidity and prejudices. This is 2017 not 1958. " As the topic started it seemed almost as if the view was that racism pretty much does not exist in the USA . As the topic evolved it seem more like there were different opinions of how bad it was. Most of us seem to think that it is not as bad as it used to be. What I would like to point out is that how we perceive and what our love ones perceives this whole topic may be different. Their point of view is probably different then ours. A 12 year old, with long black hair, thin in stature, perhaps a bit introverted,not 100 % comfortable with their English, etc,etc. I hope that we can appreciate that they may not deal with this problem the same way that we would.

​ Initially I wasn't sure what the issue was with the SLJP. Not even sure if I am spelling it right. I don't know who they are, nor what they stand for. I glanced thru the article and just tried to cut to the point where it talked about hatred. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the article. Allon just provided a link to the source of his quote. If SLJP it is too political perhaps the phrase "the article's source" could be substituted for those 4 letters. If anyone is really interested then they can follow the link to the article. I din't think this was a big deal but maybe other do. I don't think the whole topic needs to deleted. After all we are all part of the Candle 's family and I don't think any foul was intended. Danb

• Like 2

Hello and Wow. I started this post mostly to give an example that there is racism in America. Still. Today. And I wanted and did say that ..." Our wives and children shouldn't be subjected to such stupidity and prejudices. This is 2017 not 1958. " As the topic started it seemed almost as if the view was that racism pretty much does not exist in the USA . As the topic evolved it seem more like there were different opinions of how bad it was. Most of us seem to think that it is not as bad as it used to be. What I would like to point out is that how we perceive and what our love ones perceives this whole topic may be different. Their point of view is probably different then ours. A 12 year old, with long black hair, thin in stature, perhaps a bit introverted,not 100 % comfortable with their English, etc,etc. I hope that we can appreciate that they may not deal with this problem the same way that we would.

​ Initially I wasn't sure what the issue was with the SLJP. Not even sure if I am spelling it right. I don't know who they are, nor what they stand for. I glanced thru the article and just tried to cut to the point where it talked about hatred. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the article. Allon just provided a link to the source of his quote. If SLJP it is too political perhaps the phrase "the article's source" could be substituted for those 4 letters. If anyone is really interested then they can follow the link to the article. I din't think this was a big deal but maybe other do. I don't think the whole topic needs to deleted. After all we are all part of the Candle 's family and I don't think any foul was intended. Danb

Thank you, dan - a well thought out response. The SPLC is widely quoted for their information about hate groups.

• Like 1

Good Morning guys. Last night when I came home I glance at the posts, more than really reading the posts. I just reread the posts on this topic. I noticed a couple of things. I pretty sure that I had never heard the initials of that group that the "quantifying hate" came from. I would like to say that the first time I read that article a few days ago I just skimmed the whole article and tried to just get to the " quantify hate " part. I did not take note of who wrote the article. It wasn't all that important to me. When I read that this topic might be politico I was a bit puzzled...and I was worried that the topic would be locked up or deleted. So I have looked back over parts of the topic and want to add a couple of comments/thoughts. First of all that group, the SPLC. The initials really didn't mean anything to me. A few minutes ago I tried to read the linked article. The whole name, I might have heard of them. Maybe. If they are the group that are/was often quoted(thru the years) about discrimination and prejudices and such things against black people then I have heard of them. I didn't pay too much attention to them before. But I definitely did not recognize the group by their initials. I may have agreed with some of their previous statements but I also recognized that they may have their own agenda.. I also was not all that interested in the subjects that they wanted to talk about. I felt that they did not directly pertain to my circumstances.

I guess what I am trying to say is that group doesn't have a lot of effect on the way that I think about things.

Tsap S. You asked, " Fellas, Carl, Dan, Randy, Mick....please guys...wassup?" Rereading the posts I noticed your question. Initially, I thought that there wasn't any politics in the posts. Yes , I was awake when I read the post the first time. Allon comments and his link to that group did not shout out "politics" to me. There is a potential that it can become "politico". It can become "political" only if we really pay too much attention to it. Me, I rather talk about racism and how it pertains to our group and Asian Americans. Danb

• Like 1

OOPsssw. Tsap S. Me, thinks that I have blundered!!! ...." Fellas, Carl, DAN, Randy, Mick....please guys...wassup?" Just finished a shower. Had my thinking cap on and for a brief moment I think it was working correctly. DAN is not this dan but another DAN. What was I thinking? Sorry about that. I was just replying. Trying not to be rude. danb

I think Allon's intent in his post was exactly what you saw, Danb - to direct you to the paragraph he quoted - attributing his sources. Yes, the article is political, but nothing in Allon's post is. The link CAN be removed without changing any meaning, except that doing so would eliminate the SOURCE for his information.

It would be nice if we could change the link to go DIRECTLY to that paragraph, but I don't think that's possible.

This thread is about racism and how it pertains to our spouses - not politics

• Like 2

Trying to change the subject a little, I have been thinking for some months about researching bias issues against Asians in this country. Native born against immigrants, Ethnic europeans against Asian ancestry, and Asian against Asian, etc.

Doesn't have to be political; it would likely be cultural. Wanted to find resources and material for my wife and son to be able to use. I don't think me standing by and going along with the model minority view of things would be responsible.

And, no, not a collection of anecdotes except for first person narratives. More like data and/or case law. It could end up as a sticky.

• Like 3

Interesting thread here.....

I live very near Kansas City, which has a pretty large Asian population. Not like San Francisco, or anything, but fairly significant.

Before I met Rose, I never thought much about it... I mean, folks are just folks, y'know?

After I met and married my lovely Rose, I actually worried a bit about how she and Kerry might be treated here in the good ol' USA. I mean, I grew up (as a lot of us did) in pretty race-turbulent times.

I needn't have worried. Folks around here have been nothing but receptive to Rose and Kerry, and her smile, graciousness and demeanor has won over the hearts of folks here in my neighborhood.

Shoot, there's ladies coming over every weekend when we're out doing yard work to give Rose a hug and tell her how lovely her flowers look.

Maybe this is a Midwestern thing, or maybe we're just lucky, but I haven't seen signs of racism directed toward my wife or family at all.

Honestly, I tend to agree with Tsap. There's still racism out there. You'll never eradicate it. But there's also a huge amount of sensationalism in the news...it's what gets people to watch it. And the news folks tend to blow things up to huge levels to get people going. For myself and my family....all we're seeing around here are good-hearted folks. Maybe all the racism is elsewhere?

I think Allon's intent in his post was exactly what you saw, Danb - to direct you to the paragraph he quoted - attributing his sources. Yes, the article is political, but nothing in Allon's post is. The link CAN be removed without changing any meaning, except that doing so would eliminate the SOURCE for his information.

It would be nice if we could change the link to go DIRECTLY to that paragraph, but I don't think that's possible.

This thread is about racism and how it pertains to our spouses - not politics

Great idea Randy. We all know ol' Allon lost his train of thought and posted a link that he would normally have posted on CFV. Allon's post was completely fine, just his link to a HIGHLY extreme far sided political group with an unfounded article by a guy man with a grudge who portrays our president AND all of the population who voted for him as racists and hate mongers.

We all know Allon's "proof" came from SPLC now, Randy. Why not just cut n' paste the one paragraph in the SPLC article that doesn't slander the sitting president and everyone who voted for him as hate mongerin' racists, and post that? :victory:

Everybody wins.....

1. Allon was successful :victory:

2. We lose the slanderous political link :victory:

3. and most importantly..Candle is no longer besmirched and besotted with the type of a post that was so commonplace on the other board, who allowed political posts...and no longer exists.

Will that work, Randy? Can you do that? Candle is WAY above this nonsense. A great job has been done in the past by all of you guys to not have this sort of political agenda stand when it was posted. Thank you all. The integrity of A Candle For Love is much more important than some smoldering political feud. Please check the political agendas at the door guys.

Interesting thread here.....

I live very near Kansas City, which has a pretty large Asian population. Not like San Francisco, or anything, but fairly significant.

Before I met Rose, I never thought much about it... I mean, folks are just folks, y'know?

After I met and married my lovely Rose, I actually worried a bit about how she and Kerry might be treated here in the good ol' USA. I mean, I grew up (as a lot of us did) in pretty race-turbulent times.

I needn't have worried. Folks around here have been nothing but receptive to Rose and Kerry, and her smile, graciousness and demeanor has won over the hearts of folks here in my neighborhood.

Shoot, there's ladies coming over every weekend when we're out doing yard work to give Rose a hug and tell her how lovely her flowers look.

Maybe this is a Midwestern thing, or maybe we're just lucky, but I haven't seen signs of racism directed toward my wife or family at all.

Honestly, I tend to agree with Tsap. There's still racism out there. You'll never eradicate it. But there's also a huge amount of sensationalism in the news...it's what gets people to watch it. And the news folks tend to blow things up to huge levels to get people going. For myself and my family....all we're seeing around here are good-hearted folks. Maybe all the racism is elsewhere?

Yeah buddy, this so called "building" racism and hate crap is nothing like the media is trying to jam down our throats. Political agenda, political agenda, political agenda.

My wife was once harassed by a couple of older white women in this hotel she work at for about 3 weeks. She got angry bit instead of crying foul with racism or hatred, she just bought the damn hotel. I helped her turn it into apartments and now they pay her rent.

Heck, even little incidents of anything close to being racism or hatred are damn hard to find in the America that I roam. Maybe it is all out there in Nevada or Arizona, some place. :gleam: It is just so rare. Wenyan seems to attract men who want to chat her up when I'm not with her, or to take those sneak second looks at her twisty thrashin' (looks like two cats in a bag fighting) hiney as she does that immortal Chinese woman strut that only they can do. :worthy: :worthy: . I admit, I get a touch mesmerized my owndamnself as I walk behind her...Gulp :yay: Whatcha say?

Glad to see you guys doin' so well, and with a humor. The key to success...a sense of humor. :victory:

• Like 1

Now who is being political? Saying MY free press has a political agenda.

Thank God for our freedom of press in this country and the good work of the southern poverty law center. Extreme? Extreme in their diligence.

Neither may be perfect but they are definitely fighting the good fight.

• Like 2

Now who is being political? Saying MY free press has a political agenda.

Thank God for our freedom of press in this country and the good work of the southern poverty law center. Extreme? Extreme in their diligence.

Neither may be perfect but they are definitely fighting the good fight.

Well, that is jes real nice there Greg. So, let me ask you. Does the Candle for Love Rule....

• Flaming, name-calling, slandering, or otherwise bashing elected or appointed government officials and government organizations/agencies is not acceptable under any circumstance.

Is this a SELECTIVE RULE that only needs apply in times to protect political party folks that you and Allon like? And f*ck the political figures that you and Allon, and whoever else doesn't approve of? Is that how the rule works?

We never had a post like Allon's , crude attempt to flame a political party and everyone who even voted for that candidate, to stay posted like we are seeing right now. Never saw our former president or even the one before him get flamed and it left on by our moderating squad. Is the current president just fair game if you or Allon don't like him?

Is that the "good fight" you are bragging about? Selective application of the rules...

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

OMG The SPLC is as political as it comes. Might need to put a lid on this one.

cuzin chawls, you hit the nail on the head. Candle has always been a class act. We never had political posts, or links to radical political rantings like this Allon person did, knowing full damn well it was wrong. Look at his lame attempt to say "hopefully it is about racism". How Allon's link has not been deleted by now is beyond me?

Fellas, Carl, Dan, Randy, Mick....please guys...wassup? You all know that if someone posted some blatant slanderous political garbage about any of the former presidents that the dumbassed post and or link would be deleted in short order. Has something changed? Is this a new Candle with new rules? Is the sitting president fair game to post blatant slanderous remarks about, like Allon did with his link to some SPLC senior fellow with a widely exaggerated and defamatory political rant against the president to include EVERYONE who voted for him. :whistling:

Surely this Allon fellow is not representative of Candle For Love?

I'm kinda surprised at seeing something so out of place on Candle but I'm only asking guys. Does this old rule no longer apply?

From the Rules

Greetings and Welcome

Thank you for visiting A Candle for Love. The various forums in this site were created to provide a positive and supportive environment for people who have a loved one from China. Realizing that the process for obtaining a visa for that loved one is often a long, arduous, and stressful process, A Candle for Love was created to provide a venue for sharing information regarding the immigration process from start to finish as well as establishing a forum offering mutual support.

Responsible Posting

In order to create and maintain a supportive, informative environment the following guidelines have been established:

Yes, he is - he's an Admin. I have eliminated the link - you can Google his text to find the SPLC article. Nothing else is changed in this thread - hopefully, now we can continue a topic that is of interest to most of us.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1