Racism: Still in the USA, surprised??

danb

Hello. I was reading about this incident:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%E2%80%98one-word-says-it-all-asian%E2%80%99-airbnb-host-reportedly-leaves-guest-stranded-because-of-her-race/ar-BBzxuM8

An American, a law student, an Asian American female, and yet she was refused sleeping accommodations. When I first read this article I was a bit surprised that her reservations were turned down at the last minute. But after I thought about it for a minute I decided that I shouldn't be. Our wives and children shouldn't be subjected to such stupidity and prejudices. This is 2018 not 1958. What do you all think about this incident? Danb

It's just one person (Tami, the landlord). Probably is some validity to claims that the past few years have brought some of this behavior out of the closet, however.

I think also we have seen a resurgence - and maybe last hurrah - of butt-hurt, blame everybody but myself whites who, at the same time, are having microphones shoved in their faces.

My perspective is it's part of a larger problem of diminishing integrity, values and demeanor in this country.

My hybrid son will be ready and actually more at home in the inevetible mixed race, upside down world that is coming.

I am in my early sixties and had hoped that all that I saw in my younger days had been put behind us. My hope now is that this is the last gasp for this kind of thing. I know that I am probably wrong, and racism will never really go away.

There was also a recent article about the University of Texas at Austin. Flyers were distributed around the campus that were basically anti-Chinese, prior to that anti-Muslim flyers were distributed. I worry about my wife who is Chinese encountering these kinds of things, but nothing so far. One of the few things I like about Las Vegas is that there seems to be little push back against other races/cultures. Of course a major part of that could be the dependence on tourism.

No Chicken Little, the sky isn't falling. :oneeye: :winkiss:

Personally, I haven't seen or experienced a resurgence, or even an increase in racism in any of my travels, ago, or recent. And I certainly haven't seen any racism in the tiny borough in picturesque rural Pa that we live in. Oh, my Asian wife turns the heads of many men, second lookers who make excuses to stop and "strategically" look at some thing of interest in a store, as they REALLY are gawkin' at the lil' rabbit's body as she shake, rattle, and rolls that tiny hiney by them. But that's not racism, that is good sense of judgement. :worthy: And, it's not only the dern men who gawk at my wife...my Gawd the wimmin look at her more than the men, and the wimmin are OPEN about it, no sneakin' around, open mouth breathin' in the teenage girls department while they stare at some Asian woman's booty as she picks out clothes. And they aren't shy to just come right up and say what is on their mind, too. Stuff like, "Dear, where did you find that stunning outfit?"

Sorry, if I spoil the thread, but no, we have not experienced, seen, or heard of any new rising racism ourselves, nor have we heard of any from our many friends in spread out in America. :V:

What I am seeing in our country is a recent emergence of a group of folks who would like all of us to think that racism is rapidly increasing in America. :giggle: Well boyz, it hasn't anywhere that we have been. Speakin' of which, we're soon to extend our America wide search for racism to Las Vegas on April 17th through the 21st, then it's off on another adventure in paradise, maybe coming to a city in your area, soon!. Hot CHA CHA!!!

Y'know, maybe the lil' rabbit and I, and we can take our son on his summer vacation, for a trip around America...looking for discrimination and racism. YESSSSS, we could do videos like Winston and C-Milk and Prooz or whatever his name is. Wenyan could be C-Note (how fitting for her since she's a vicious slum landlord type) :yay: And me. I'll call myself Buck. Buck Nekked. I'll don a crime fighting cape of cheap red velour with BN stitched in yeller letters on the back.

Me n' C-Note will ride Harley Davidson choppers though small and large town America, jes lookin' for racism trouble on every corner. I'll keep my 1st Aviation baseball cap on backwards, ever at the ready should I need to suddenly leap off the bike, extend my cape and fly off once again into the very face of adversity should the ugly head of the R word raise it's evil head in our presence.

So, I see that racism not only exist in the south but in good ole California too. For those of you that are so concerned about racism in the south well you got it racism exist everywhere and not only in EVERY state in the good ole USA. China happens too have a lot of racist too between the different ethnic groups and city folks and farmers. I hear it from my wife all the time and guess what she is the one that is racist. When she came here for the first time, 17 years ago, I had a VERY stern talk with her about this thing and I haven't heard anything about it since. Is she still racist? Probably. But from our recent trip all over the entire USA. I never encountered any racism except from two people and guess where that was. El Paso Texas and lo and behold it was from two Mexican hotel clerks of all people. Most of their racist remarks were in Spanish but little did they know I just happen to have taken a little Spanish when I was in school. The wife only knew that they were giving her a hard time in english. I told the wife F***'em lets get the hell out of here and told them Vete a la mierda. You should have seen the look on their faces, priceless. They never said anything in rebuttal.

I blame it on the news media on both sides of the pond. Reporting so much about this South China Sea deal, the trade deficit thingamie and the assumption that Chinese folks are taking our jobs, which is not true. It is our greedy American companies moving to third world countries working the crap out of their people for a dollar an hour 12-14 hours a day so that they can raise their stock investors portfolio's. Lets not forget their CEO's making them 30 million dollar salaries every year with almost that in much in bonuses.

I have read that Trump and Xi are going to work on that so let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Some interesting views and insights. I think that racism may not be as overt as it was in the 1960's. Not so many white sheets and such things but it is still around. But, it is just dressed up different. Dressed in suits and practiced at our universities ( such as with the flyers that Randy posted above about ), in some restaurants and yes, in some vacation rentals, etc. Is it as bad as the 1960? Thankfully, probably not. Danb

• Like 1

My wife came back from a trip somewhere, came in and sat down next to me (never does that), and said, "You know? Some Americans don't like Chinese." She had fear all over her face.

I had to explain to her how people become that way. It's from seeing behavior that is different from ours, color of skin that is different from ours, speech the same, takin' our jobs and sending them overseas, coming here and takin' our jobs, and just generally not doing things that they like in particular, and regularly so it becomes a habit passed down generation to generation, and now family to family, person to person. Yes, there are racists in China too.

She said the man looked at her like he wanted to kill her. He was angry. She thought he was going to follow her.

I said if it happens again, just call me, then 911 in that order. I will probably be there first.

I worked in a poverty program for a long time, the only white in the whole building. If I was out of a job and homeless, I would know where to go. To my black friends' house.

I lived overseas when I was a kid and saw many different people and learned who to avoid early on. Later, I almost welcomed a nasty racist comment when my own father had to be followed around by guard dogs because "someone" cut the throat of an 18 year old black kid coming back to the barracks from a movie. My old man searched the entire base and never found the asshole. So he, yes, my Old Man, shut down Papa Joe Alley in Seoul, Korea to all military personnel because the owners of the bars refused to serve blacks. It almost caused a war.

I frankly don't care if racism is growing or not. (It is.) And definitely is back and that is all that matters. It hurt my wife. It was no innocent little flirtatious action either. She will never go to that store again for fear that she will see that man again.

And this is a discussion of racism, not politics. I hope.

* link to SPLC article removed at tsap's request - Google the text if you want to see it *

It's under "Quantifying Hate."

The number of hate groups operating in the country in 2016 remained at near-historic highs, rising from 892 in 2015 to 917 last year, according to the latest count by the SPLC. That’s only about 100 fewer organizations than the 1,018 tallied in 2011, which was the all-time high in some 30 years of SPLC counts.
Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

You are right Eric. I made the statement that I didn't think that racist was as prevalent as it was at one time and it was not for a long time but you know I think that it has been on the increase since 2008 because of all the corporations putting American workers here in America out of jobs by moving to China for the cheap labor. As well as all the migration during those years from down south.

In 2009 I was looking at the bulletin board at the local Food Lion for something or some kind of service and I be damned if there was not a Chines hate letter stuck on it. One of the most disrespectful letters that I have ever seen about any race of people. I was going to the manager but the wife would not let me so I just pulled it down and tore it into as many pieces as I could and threw it onto the floor. There has been only one other incident at Sears buy a customer, and it was a black lady too, since then. Happened a long time ago. But I guess over a 17 year period that is not to bad but even one occurrence of this magnitude on this subject is TO MANY.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Up above in post #6 tsap seui said....."What I am seeing in our country is a recent emergence of a group of folks who would like all of us to think that racism is rapidly increasing in America. "

Holy Molie Molly Brown!!!! Allon, I owes ya one buddy. :D

My friend, I caint thank you enough for posting that link to the SPLC as your evidence about this recent spread of racism in America. That was nothin' short of absolute brilliance!! You nailed it!! You made my case by showing a perfect example of what I was talkin' 'bout, and, you validated my words. Thank you, brother. :victory:

tsap seui