copies of original tax returns, or tax return transcripts?

I'm trying to order transcripts of my tax returns from the IRS website, but the website isn't working. (I live in China.) I was wondering if for the interview I can submit copies of my original returns (the last 2 years I used TurboTax online and can generate a transcript from there), or do they require the actual "IRS transcript"? If the latter, do they have to be originals? My plan B is to order paper copies of the transcripts (which the IRS website allows me to do) and have them sent to relatives in the US and they would take pictures or scan and send them to me to print out.

Transcripts are not a requirement if you use copies of returns, note a return is not compleat unless you attach copies of income forms like W-2s and or 1099s.

Also will be required to provide evidence maintained domicile in the states per the I-864

Study topics tagged I-864

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/I-864/

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-864Tax.jpg

I-864 instructions

Thanks. Since I've been employed outside the US for the past few years, I don't have any W2s or 1099s. In that case, is it better that I get the official IRS transcripts rather than copies of my returns?

Also will be required to provide evidence maintained domicile in the states per the I-864

I also haven't maintained a domicile in the US. That isn't a requirement, right? (It doesn't seem to be judging by form I-864). I'm in discussions about a job in the US when we move there from China (this summer, providing green card comes through). If that job comes through, I'll have a letter from my new employer. If it doesn't come through, then one of my siblings will be a co-sponsor. In either of those cases, my US domicile shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks.

Thanks. Since I've been employed outside the US for the past few years, I don't have any W2s or 1099s. In that case, is it better that I get the official IRS transcripts rather than copies of my returns?

I also haven't maintained a domicile in the US. That isn't a requirement, right? (It doesn't seem to be judging by form I-864). I'm in discussions about a job in the US when we move there from China (this summer, providing green card comes through). If that job comes through, I'll have a letter from my new employer. If it doesn't come through, then one of my siblings will be a co-sponsor. In either of those cases, my US domicile shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks.

You are not just submitting an I-864 - you are applying for a visa. Submit evidence including your intended address, and evidence of your active job search.

It is your choice as to whether to submit copies of your tax return (including all ZERO of your W-2's and 1099's) or the tax transcripts.

If you wish, you may submit with your tax returns, in order to identify the source of your income.

Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.

This form serves as a substitute for Forms W-2, W-2c, and 1099-R and is completed by taxpayers or their representatives when:
Their employer or payer does not give them a Form W-2 or Form 1099-R, or
An employer or payer has issued an incorrect Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.

Got it. I thought you were talking about my domicile in the US while living abroad, not my intended domicile once we move to the US (that I have sorted out already).

Thanks again.

No - by domicile they are referring to where you WILL live, and especially your career prospects.

The Visa Ofiicer is required by law to look BEYOND the information on the I-864 in making a determination of whether the prospective immigrant might become a public charge while in the U.S.

You may want to read I-864 instructions page 4 and 5 regarding domicile, it is a requirement of I-864.

Item Number 5. Country of Domicile. Indicate the country where you maintain your principal residence and where you
plan to reside for the foreseeable future. If your mailing address and/or place of residence is not in the United States, but
your country of domicile is the United States, you must attach a typed or printed explanation and documentary evidence
indicating how you meet the domicile requirement. If you are not currently living in the United States, you may meet the
domicile requirement if you can submit evidence to establish that any of the following conditions apply:
  • You are employed by a certain organization.

Some individuals employed overseas are automatically considered as domiciled in the United States because of the nature of their employment. The qualifying types of employment include employment by:
    • The U.S. Government;
    • An American institution of research recognized by the Secretary of Homeland Security (you may find the list of qualifying institutions at 8 CFR 316.20);
    • A U.S. firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce with the United States, or a subsidiary of such a firm or corporation;
    • A public international organization in which the United States participates by treaty or statute;
    • A religious denomination having a bona fide organization in the United States, if the employment abroad involves the person’s performance of priestly or ministerial functions on behalf of the denomination; or
    • A religious denomination or interdenominational missionary organization having a bona fide organization in the United States, if the person is engaged solely as a missionary.
  • You are living abroad temporarily.

If you are not currently living in the United States, you must provide proof that your trip abroad is temporary and that you have maintained your domicile in the United States. Examples of proof include:
    • Your voting record in the United States;
    • Records of paying U.S. state or local taxes;
    • Having property in the United States;
    • Maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States;
    • Having a permanent mailing address in the United States; or
    • Other proof such as evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay.
  • You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission or adjustment of status.

You must submit proof that you have taken concrete steps to establish that you will domicile in the United States at a time no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission or adjustment of status. Concrete steps might include accepting a job in the United States, signing a lease or purchasing a residence in the United States, or registering children in U.S. schools. Please attach proof of the steps you have taken to establish domicile as described

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-864instr.pdf?download=1

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Domicile/

As per I-864 instructions item 5 number 3 you will need to show you are establishing domicile in the states.