Upcoming holiday plans (Husband has a 10 year tourist visa)

This is my first post. I hope I posted into the correct group.

Last year while my (at the time) fiance and I were visiting friends in the states, we decided to elope. He is Chinese and I am American. We both live and work in China. We do not plan on moving back to the states anytime soon so have not started the marriage visa process.

We plan on visiting some friends this summer in the USA and doing some sightseeing. He already has a 10-year tourist visa. My question is, if we travel together, do you think we will have problems at the POE? I have read some problems that other people had acquiring tourist visas because they said they were dating/engaged to an American, but he already has the tourist visa.

Do you think there will not be a problem? Would it be better to travel separately?

Thank you in advance. this forum has been very informative.

In recent months, travelers from some of the countries earmarked by Donald Trump's executive orders have been turned away at the POE, even some with valid visas or green cards.

No travelers from China have been affected as far as we are aware. Cables from the State Dept. have been concerning the AWARDING of visas - What to expect coming up . . .

I doubt that you would have a problem, but traveling separately won't affect your circumstances.

Be aware of the EVUS requirements for travelers with 10 year visas - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/48452-evus-your-10-yr-visa-is-not-enough/?p=630506

One member I remember having similar case, wife had B-2 visa from before marriage and had no issues traveling after marrage to visit the states.

This was in the days of 1 year B-2 visas they had no issues renewing the B-2 and visiting the states even after marriage.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/42538-b2-visa-for-my-wife/?p=564605

• 4 months later...

Just an update, we had our vacation in the states. We went through immigration in Seattle and I asked a person where we should go since my SO is on a tourist visa and we are just visiting. We were directed to the non citizen line. Everything went smoothly and we had a great time.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I forgot to mention, this summer we had another trip to USA, a place called Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands. This time when we went through immigration a person helped us and said I could bring my family member through the Citizen's lane (even though he was on a tourist visa.) It really saved a lot of time this time around. I am not sure if was just for this POE or for all, but it is worth a try!

I forgot to mention, this summer we had another trip to USA, a place called Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands. This time when we went through immigration a person helped us and said I could bring my family member through the Citizen's lane (even though he was on a tourist visa.) It really saved a lot of time this time around. I am not sure if was just for this POE or for all, but it is worth a try!

Policies vary from one POE to another, and the load they're experiencing at the time, but I would think you'd want to get in the SAME line, and just see how it goes.

Policies vary from one POE to another, and the load they're experiencing at the time, but I would think you'd want to get in the SAME line, and just see how it goes.

Yes in Both times we have been stateside since marriage, we entered together. First time was through the foreigner lane and the second time was in the citizens lane. It doesn't hurt to try, you might get to go through the smaller line :)