N-400, about stepchild

Hope this isn't too silly a question. I am the u.s. citizen and my wife who is a LPR (10-yr green card) is applying for citizenship as she's been here 5 years now. Question is about N-400, Part 11, question 2, about listing stepchildren. I have two adult children who have not even met my wife. She feels she should list them as "stepchildren." I feel not. Should my children be listed on her N-400?

Any input will be appreciated.

"child" is defined for immigration purposes as being under the age of 21. However, your children are your children for all other purposes. A "step child" must be under the age of 18 at the time of marriage in oder to be considered your "child for immigration purposes."

It's not clear how that applies to step children over the age of 21, however. I always referred to my step father as "my mother's husband" (they married when they were around 70 and I was almost 50).

I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

For immigration purposes, a “child” is defined as being unmarried and under 21, whereas if a person is married and/or over 21, that person is defined as a “son” or “daughter”.

This doesn't seem to address your question, but I think will come about as close as anything you will find

Chapter 2 – Definition of Child for Citizenship and Naturalization