Question on Submitting Tax Return, Total Income, Taxes Owed

My fiancee, who is in China, and I are almost at the interview stage. I am self employed completing my 2016 Tax Return. I understand that the financial number the Consulate Officer will look at is Line Number 22 on the 1040, Total Income. I show $27,000 which is sufficient above the poverty guideline. However, the tax I owe is $7,000 which shows on the next page. Will the Officer only consider Line 22 or will he/she subtract the $7,000 tax in their head?

I have never seen a post about this but we wouldn't be living on the $27,000 but on the amount left over after taxes are paid. It is very confusing when self employed.

Thank you!

My fiancee, who is in China, and I are almost at the interview stage. I am self employed completing my 2016 Tax Return. I understand that the financial number the Consulate Officer will look at is Line Number 22 on the 1040, Total Income. I show $27,000 which is sufficient above the poverty guideline. However, the tax I owe is $7,000 which shows on the next page. Will the Officer only consider Line 22 or will he/she subtract the $7,000 tax in their head?

I have never seen a post about this but we wouldn't be living on the $27,000 but on the amount left over after taxes are paid. It is very confusing when self employed.

Thank you!

The Visa officer is required by law to look BEYOND the I-864 (or I-134) in making a determination of whether the intending immigrant might become a public charge. It's in your best interest to provide an accurate picture of your actual income.

If you truly only make $27,000 a year in the U.S., this could be viewed as a negative factor in determining whether to award the visa. A joint sponsor might be necessary.

Then again, if you truly are paying $7,000 on $27,000 income, you may need a new accountant.

Edited by Randy W
I-134 (see edit history)

Thank you for your reply and your thoughts. Perhaps I misstated. My Gross income was actually $58,000. After business expenses my total income was $27,000. This is the amount on line 22 of form 1040. Everything I have read is that this number needs to be greates than the poverty line of $22,025.

This seemed o until I began wondering about the $7000 in tax I will now owe which includes self wmployment and fed tax. I need to speK to my accountant before I send my fiance these taxes. I was just wondering whethwr the officer will only look at the Total Income on line 22 which reflects everything I have read up to now, or if they will also bear in mind the tax I owe. It sounds like they may take the tax into consideration from what I gather from your note.

Thank you. If you have other feedback I'd appreciate it although this may really be a more involved, sit down accountant conversation.

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply and your thoughts. Perhaps I misstated. My Gross income was actually $58,000. After business expenses my total income was $27,000. This is the amount on line 22 of form 1040. Everything I have read is that this number needs to be greates than the poverty line of $22,025.

This seemed o until I began wondering about the $7000 in tax I will now owe which includes self wmployment and fed tax. I need to speK to my accountant before I send my fiance these taxes. I was just wondering whethwr the officer will only look at the Total Income on line 22 which reflects everything I have read up to now, or if they will also bear in mind the tax I owe. It sounds like they may take the tax into consideration from what I gather from your note.

Thank you. If you have other feedback I'd appreciate it although this may really be a more involved, sit down accountant conversation.

Thanks!

Again, it's up to you to provide an accurate picture. I would say the $58,000 is probably a more accurate amount. You might have your accountant draw up a financial statement.

Whatever arithmetic the VO may or may not perform is beside the point. Your fiance's application will get more scrutiny than will someone who earns, say, $100,000 a year. But it may or may not be feasible for you to get a joint sponsor - in some ways, that's more than a little like asking to borrow money from that person.

I would say that it's reasonable to go with what you have, unless you can easily get a joint sponsor.