RAISE Act impact on family based visas

My wife's oldest sister is a naturalized US Citizen. She petitioned for her other sisters (except for her youngest sister - my wife) and brother when she became a USC. Based on their priority date they still have a wait of 2.5 years. They've already been waiting about 11. If the RAISE Act passes will those that have already applied be grandfathered in or are they screwed?

My wife's oldest sister is a naturalized US Citizen. She petitioned for her other sisters (except for her youngest sister - my wife) and brother when she became a USC. Based on their priority date they still have a wait of 2.5 years. They've already been waiting about 11. If the RAISE Act passes will those that have already applied be grandfathered in or are they screwed?

In the words of a famous Democrat, "We have to pass the bill before you can see what's in it".

There's a reason why she said it - clauses like this are especially subject to change.

It's doubtful that they would screw someone who is already in the process, but then again, it was almost imperceivable that someone on a plane to the U.S. could have their visa revoked mid-air.

It's doubtful that they would screw someone who is already in the process, but then again, it was almost imperceivable that someone on a plane to the U.S. could have their visa revoked mid-air.

I know that until it becomes law anything could change. I'm just trying to get a feel for the direction its going...grandfathered vs. totally screwed. But your quote above is exactly the reason why we cannot take anything for granted. Although, in the end there's not much I can really do other than contact my Senators.

Unfortunately, the news reports I've read about it don't say if the drafts apply to applications already submitted.

How the RAISE Act Would Cut Back Legal Immigration

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) and Sen. David Perdue (R-Georgia) have introduced a bill called the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment (RAISE) Act, which aims to slash overall immigration to the U.S. by 40 percent over the next year and 50 percent in the next 10 years.
If approved, the bill would limit the number of refugees who obtain permanent residence to 50,000 a year and end the diversity visa lottery, which distributes 50,000 visas annually to citizens of countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S.
. . .
While U.S. citizens are currently allowed to sponsor their spouses, parents, siblings and children for green cards, the bill mandates that moving forward, they would only be able to sponsor spouses and unmarried minor children.

The high lighted part there SEEMS to imply that it would only apply to NEW petitions, but you never know.

It seems to be 'Trump'eted (pardon the expression) by its proponents as a 'Family Caregivers Act'

This AARP pdf file doesn't even MENTION 'immigration' - NEVER MIND - This seems to be a DIFFERENT RAISE Act

https://www.baldwin.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/8.3.15%20RAISE%20Family%20Caregivers%20Act%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)