Which is Faster?

Which is faster: filing a petition for a greencard/immigration visa for a spouse in China (the petitioner and beneficiary both living in China) or the petitioner filing in the USA while the beneficiary is living in China?

When you file the petition with a USCIS office in China (either Guangzhou or Beijing). it is processed by the overseas office and then sent directly to the Dept. of State in Guangzhou. This is MUCH faster than filing the same petition in the U.S., where it has to also go through the National Visa Center, or NVC.

To do this, you must LIVE in China. It is known as DCF or Direct Consular Filing.

(duplicate posting removed)

Which is faster: filing a petition for a greencard/immigration visa for a spouse in China (the petitioner and beneficiary both living in China) or the petitioner filing in the USA while the beneficiary is living in China?

When you file the petition with a USCIS office in China (either Guangzhou or Beijing). it is processed by the overseas office and then sent directly to the Dept. of State in Guangzhou. This is MUCH faster than filing the same petition in the U.S., where it has to also go through the National Visa Center, or NVC.

To do this, you must LIVE in China. It is known as DCF or Direct Consular Filing.

Can you define "Much faster"? I know that trying to estimate timelines here is a tricky business, so I don't expect a lot of specifics. I am going to be in the USA for several months. Do you think it would be a wash if I submitted my petition then, or waited six months or so and did it when I return to China? Thanks for your patience.

Can you define "Much faster"? I know that trying to estimate timelines here is a tricky business, so I don't expect a lot of specifics. I am going to be in the USA for several months. Do you think it would be a wash if I submitted my petition then, or waited six months or so and did it when I return to China? Thanks for your patience.

The quickest way, of course, would be to submit it NOW (before you leave). But, yes - if you can't do that, you might just want to mail it stateside when you're there.

Typically a DCF filing in China takes somewhere between 2 to 6 months or so from filing to a visa interview, where as filing the petition to the USCIS PO Box in the USA can take anywhere from 4-8 months just to process through USCIS, and then a month or so through NVC and another month or two to an interview so anywhere from 8 to 12 months if filed in the states.

For timelines to give you ideas see: Note the DCF filter switch in the lower right corner.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=1&op3=5&op5=&op6=All